A question about cooking...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just found out that my best friend (she was my managerat work) is having a hysterectomy done. She is 51 years old and has and 11 year-old son. She has no one to help her around the house other than her bf but he's not much help at all.

I was thinking of cooking some meals that she could store up in her freezer so they'd just have to reheat it. I thought of spaghetti sauce... But other than that I don't have any ideas what I could make...

She lives a bit far from me so I dunno what else I could so to help other than possibly babysit her son during the weekends and help with his homework. I have also offered financial help and help with sending in her applications for her unemployment insurance.

I will also be going to the hospital with her. I think her bf will drive her in but I doubt he will stay. (They stay together for their son.) I don't want her being alone in the hospital. She would do the same for me.

When things were bad with my family, she became family to me. She has no one else and I had no one else too. She helped me withmy appartment and she is the one who took me to the SPCA to get Bam-Bam.We have a great friendship, despite our age difference and I would like to return the help she has given me.

Any ideas how I can help and what I could cook?

I'm not much of a cook, but I do sometimes make a big pan of lasagna and then cut it into individual pieces to put into individual-sized containers. It freezes really well and keeps for quite a while.

Gosh, it sounds like you're already planning on doing a lot for your friend! She's so fortunate to have you in her life. :) I don't have a lot of suggestions for you, other than maybe giving her some things to read or do while she's recovering. As far as freezing foods, maybe some soups and stews, divided into portions that will do a meal at a time for her and her family.

Here's to a speedy recovery for your friend...:)

you're a great friend, the world needs more ppl like you!! :biggrin2:

as for good freezing foods, lasagna definitely, soups are really easy to freeze, like homemade chicken soup or a beef stew. or possibly chicken dishes that you can just cook then freeze so she just has to warm them up.

i'll keep thinking :)

I always here people making cassroles and freezing them. I am part of a cooking group want me to ask them?

Ah, let's see...

Enchiladas & lasagna freeze well, so do potatoes in many forms, at least in my experience. The majority of soups will freeze okay, although I wouldn't recommend freezing anything with high moisture content vegetables in it.

Most sauces do well, except those that will separate, and although I haven't tried it yet, I think prepared spaghetti might work (you might want to experiment with it yourself before giving some to your friend, though). That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll post more if it comes to mind.

give your friend my wishes for an uneventful, speedy recovery, and good luck with the freezing! :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I am new to cooking and I never freeze anything other than spaghetti sauce or onion soup. *Blushes* Lol. The surgery is months away probably but I like to plan ahead :?

Sure JadeIcing you can ask if you don't mind :biggrin2:

Soup!

You can get those packet soups from the supermarket, the kinds with the chickpeas etc. Boil up a packet or two (they usually make about a litre each). Add potato, carrot and any other yummy seasonal veggies. Add chunks of ham, bacon or chicken etc.

That kind of soup is actually thicker and nicer if frozsen and then reheated. It's healthy, tasty and filling too.

What an awesome friend you are :hug:

Latest posts

Back