A guilty conscience...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Fenwick's hay fever makes him itch his nose andears all the time. Even when it's better, he keeps on scratching out ofhabit, and it gets all raw. Poor boy.

Anyway, so I yell at him when he starts scratching, because it makesmatters worse. When he hears "Fen STOP SCRATCHING!!!" he whips his headaround and looks totally guilty. Then he runs in his box, hides in anout-of-sight corner (so he thinks), turns his back to me, and scratchesreally fast before I stop him.

I feel so bad for him, but can't let him itch.But the guilty look is priceless!

I'm wondering if the extreme shape of his head keeps his sinuses fromdraining and makes things worse. He's a classic 3-lb. Holland Lop withthe prized "flat face". Unlike his mom and sister, he looks like he rannose-first into a wall. :p

BTW, he looks good today because it rained again--his nose is almostdown to normal color and size. I'm hoping it doesn't dry out again toomuch or he'll be uncomfortable again. Still trying to decide if hegetsworse when I let him run and dig--I hope not!

Otherwise he looks great and is bouncy and begging as usual.

Rose

No, I treated him for a slight case of mitesawhile ago. That's a different sort of thing. The itching is chronicand has become something of a nervous habit, poor boy, especially whenhe is suffering from hay fever. He gets much better when it rains andworse when it's dry and windy. He's allergic to hay and grasses,apparently. I'm still working on what kind of bedding to use thiswinter.

I'd be tempted to try an Elizabethan collar, but I don't think it would be safe enough since he's outside.

Rose

Is he an outside bunny? Because if he is I wouldsuggest shredded paper as bedding. It's much more like straw than anyother type of bedding in that it still has air pockets and that's howit insulates. It's not as good as straw but it's the next best thingI's say. Anyone else have any suggestions?

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Is he an outside bunny? Because if he is I would suggestshredded paper as bedding. It's much more like straw than any othertype of bedding in that it still has air pockets and that's how itinsulates. It's not as good as straw but it's the next best thing I'ssay. Anyone else have any suggestions?

oooooh!!! What a great idea!!!!!!!! why didn't I think of that? Now I've gotta find a source of shredded paper....Kinko's?? :)

Thanks!!

Rose

Rose, you can also make your own if you have asmall personal shredder. We shred all of our bills andimportant documents before we throw them away. Lots of timeswhen we need shredded paper for things like packing a package beforeshipping this is a source of the paper as we use a cross-cut shredder.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks! I was just talking to my brother aboutdoing that. We don't have a shredder, butI was thinking aboutgetting the roll-ends of newsprint (unprinted) and shredding that sothere wouldn't be any ink. Although a lot of ink is soy based--anyoneknow if that's safe?

Rose

Is "Yesterday's News" a pelleted litter? I thinkrabbitgirl was looking for something like straw that insulates well inthe winter for her rabbit and that's where shredded paper comes inhandy. It's the only thing I can think of and as far as I've thought,the next best thing to straw.

Available in 10 lb. Packages
yn_otherlitters_rl_photo.gif

•Pellet texture specially designed for rabbits

•Formed pellets provide highly-effective odor control

•Easy clean-up – pellet retains shape when wet

•Up to 3x more moisture absorbent than traditional pine and cedar shavings* – super absorbency keeps habitat clean and dry

•Low dust compared to pine and cedar shavings

•Perfume free

•Non-toxic (safe if ingested)
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Source: http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/other_litter.asp

Elf's not too keenon the Yesterday's News in her box. I think she thinks I'm trying toput her food where she relieves herself. So, I'm going to try someshredded newspaper and see how that goes. All she does with theYesterday's News is dig it out.

Back