A good, basic winter soup recipe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassetluv

Reaction score
Well, my reputation as a cook has never been agreat one (some of the 'food' I've prepared over the years have leftmany wondering exactly how I could manage to create something soinedible), but I made this soup the other day that turned out,surprisingly, extremely good! I'll share it with you here in caseanyone wants to try it...I don't use measurements, and had originallywritten this out for my son, so the descrip. was originally written forhim:

Squash Soup

First, take approx. 1/2 of a small buttercup squash, and 1/2 of a smallacorn squash. Then take one small to medium-sized white potato. Peeland cut up the squash halves and the potato into chunks, then put themin a small pot or frying pan with enough water to cover the piecesabout halfway. Bring water to a boil and then turn it down and let itsimmer till the chunks are soft (keep an eye on it so the water doesn'tevaporate and they burn). It shouldn't take too long for them to cook.

Then take the squash and potato chunks and put them in a blender. Add agenerous amt of butter (maybe 3 tablespoons or so) and some milk. Youcould use soy milk, but not sure how it would taste...or you could trysome lactose-free milk. Don't pour in too much milk at first, but turnon the blender and let it run for a minute, stopping to stir up thechunks if it isn't blending well. Add more milk if you need to, andkeep on blending (and/or adding milk) till it is of a smooth, soup-likeconsistency. Pour into a bowl and add a little dab of butter in themiddle if you wish, and add whatever spices you want on top. (For mine,I sprinkled on salt, a bit of pepper, a bit of basil, and some of thosedehydrated garlic sprinkles you can get in the spice section.)

That's all there is to it. Mine turned out great...really creamy andsmooth and flavorful, and it made enough for two bowlfuls. I've madethis with broccoli in the past (instead of squash) and it did turn outpretty good, but I much prefer the squash myself.

*mmmm* Soundsgood! The latest fave around here is Fasolatha, a Greek beansoup. We always have a potfull on the stove waiting to be eaten forbreakfast, lunch, or dinner. Did I mention we love this stuff? It'scompletely vegan, and the recipe is really flexible; we tend to justthrow things together and see how it works out :tongutwo:

Directions:

Take 1.5 cups of Great Northern or white cannelini beans and soak them for 24-36 hours.

Drain and rinse the beans; put them in a large pot with 8 cups of waterand 5 bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1.5 hours.

Remove the bay leaves. Add 2/3 cup olive oil (the more the merrier ;))and 1/2 large white onion, grated. Continue to simmer for 1/2 hour.

Add 1 can chopped Roma tomatoes, 2 large carrots (chopped) and 5-6stalks of celery (also chopped). Also add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp.pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Then add 2-3 cans of condensed tomato soup. We like to add garlic, parsely, oregano, and basil. You can spice to your tastes.

Your fasolatha is ready! Serve it alongside bread and, if youlike, sprinkled with feta cheese. We leave the pot on the stove untilthe soup gets consumed, it only gets tastier the longer it sits. Ithink I'll go have a bowl right now...:cooking:

And maybe we'll make some squash soup later this week :bunnydance:

m.e., what do cannelini beans look like? I'venever heard of them before. I'd like to try your recipe sometime (aslong as those kind of beans aren't like lima beans...those are the onlytype I don't care for). Your recipe sounds yummy!
hmm, i wish i could contribute but i stink at cooking.
Ilovetegocaldron, me too!! LOL...my son used to ask to stay atthe sitter's when he was little, rather than go home with me after Igot off work, because (in his words back then) "You don't cook goodlike she does". I can sometimes follow a recipe and it will turn outokay, but for the most part, I stick to eating raw stuff or things thatare very simple to make. (Ironically, my nephew is a chef!)

Bassetluv wrote:
Ilovetegocaldron, me too!! LOL...my son used to askto stay at the sitter's when he was little, rather than go home with meafter I got off work, because (in his words back then) "You don't cookgood like she does". I can sometimes follow a recipe and it will turnout okay, but for the most part, I stick to eating raw stuff or thingsthat are very simple to make. (Ironically, my nephew is a chef!)
lol, u wanna know whats ironic. im 22, when i was 18i lived with a roomate who was 23 and was a party girl. i wastrying to be domesticated at teh time so i would go out of my way tocook dinner and have it ready for when she and her entourage would comehome. i woudl be on the phoen with my mom for hours trying toprepare a meal. when she and her friends got home they woudlthank me and say how delicious it was. now im 22 and i livealone and am soon to be married. now when i try to preparemeals, i dont have that same zeal that strangers will be tasting myfood so maybe the "love" is missing in my recipe. anyways,the only one to eat my food now is my fiance and he is from a differentcountry, Dominican Republic, and he HATES almost everything imake. so it has really discouraged me. i think ionce i had potential but now i feel inadequate because ofhim. :(

ilovetegocalderon wrote:
Bassetluv wrote:
Ilovetegocaldron, me too!! LOL...my son used to askto stay at the sitter's when he was little, rather than go home with meafter I got off work, because (in his words back then) "You don't cookgood like she does". I can sometimes follow a recipe and it will turnout okay, but for the most part, I stick to eating raw stuff or thingsthat are very simple to make. (Ironically, my nephew is achef!)
lol, u wanna know whats ironic. im 22, when iwas 18 i lived with a roomate who was 23 and was a partygirl. i was trying to be domesticated at teh time so i wouldgo out of my way to cook dinner and have it ready for when she and herentourage would come home. i woudl be on the phoen with mymom for hours trying to prepare a meal. when she and herfriends got home they woudl thank me and say how delicious itwas. now im 22 and i live alone and am soon to bemarried. now when i try to prepare meals, i dont have thatsame zeal that strangers will be tasting my food so maybe the "love" ismissing in my recipe. anyways, the only one to eat my foodnow is my fiance and he is from a different country, DominicanRepublic, and he HATES almost everything i make. so it hasreally discouraged me. i think i once i had potential but nowi feel inadequate because of him. :(
Oh no...! Perhaps you could find some recipes from his culture and tryone or two for him? Either that or get him to cook the meals... ;)

Actually when I said it was ironic that my nephew is a chef, I totallyforgot to mention that my ex-husband was a cook when I was married tohim. He was good about it though; never complained about my cooking -though he did once or twice try to give me tips without getting meupset...LOL. (of course, maybe he didn't dare say anything because hehated to cook at home...he claimed he was so sick of cooking all day atthe restaurant that it was the last thing he wanted to do when he camehome.)

If it makes you feel any better, my dad used to tell people that I could burn water, I cooked so badly...

Hah! I am doing a catering course atcollege and its my second year of doing it. I passed thefirst year!:shock: When it comes to cooking at home i amRUBBISH! Well last night I made a vegetable stir fry with noodles andthat tasted lush. But other than that!

I LOVE soup! I also love making it. Im going to start and make soups at home more often.

The best soup I love is chinese vegetable soup. I love thechunky crunchy vegetables in it. Its suppose to serve 4people, but it depends how much you like it ;)

1 tbsp oil

2 spring onions diagonally diced

50g french green beans, cut into short lengths

1 carrot cut into short matchsticks

8 baby corn cobs cut into 2 or 3 pieces

25g button mushrooms, sliced

1/2 green chilli seeded and chopped (optional)

3 cups vegetable stock

2tsp light soy sauce

2 tsp sherry

Heat the oil in a wok/large frying pan. Add the prepared vegand stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients andsimmer for 2 minutes. Serve straight away.

I love the way soups are so simple to make! Apart from thechinese veg soup I like any 'cream of...' soups. And ofcoursethe traditional tomatoe soup.

I have to share my fav soup recipe. It's my mom's and when she'd make it when I was little I couldn't get enough!!

Cauliflower Cheese Soup
-2 bags frozen cauliflower -1/2 C slicedbaby carrots -1 med onion chopped
-2 celery stalks chopped -4 C chicken broth -2 Chalf and half -1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce -1 C velvetacheese, cubed -1 jar Hormel bacon bits -salt andpepper to taste

Put all veggies and broth in large pan. Cook until veggies are tender.Remove from heat. Use ricer/potato masher and mash veggies by hand to adesired consistency. Stir in 1/2 and 1/2, cheese, andTabasco.Salt and pepper to taste. Heat over med heat until cheese ismelted and soup is hot. Stir quite often. Soup will scorch if temp getstoo high!!

Latest posts

Back