A 'DUH' question -- Hay rack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
I hate to ask this question because Iknow that some of you are going to go... ...

I have one of those plastic hay racks for Sherman's cage and Ican't figure out for the life of me whether it should hang on theinside or the outside of the cage. When I hang it on theinside he doesn't really eat from it and hay falls outside all over thecarpet (the back portion of itis completely open).However, when I hang it on the outside of the cagehe makes achallenge out of reaching through the cage bars and pulling hay out toeat.

This is my question: Where is the thing supposed to hang?!!!!!!!! :X

The one that I have looks something like this:

Hi BunnyMommy,

With Missy and Calbert, we have to use extra wire on their hay racksand wire their litterboxes into the corner because they'll throw themaround if they can lift it. Buck has drilled two holes into theirlitterboxes.

If it doesn't provide a good enough fitting to fit on the inside of thecage, get some wire and make it fit. Sometimes those gadgets don't workas easily and efficiently as they claim.

:dude:

-Carolyn

I often buy inexpensive sheet metal racksdesigned to hang on the outside of the cage. Whereas the rackis "open" to the cage, I take fence wire, cut it to fit the "mouth" ofthe rack, drill appropriate holes to secure the wire to therack, then hang the entire thing within the cage.

Metal back and sides keeps most hay from sifting to the outside of thecage. Fence wire front allows buns to eat hay at leisure.

Buck

...and it works beautifully, I might add, Buck. :dude:

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back