A bunny and a bathtub

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaran

Reaction score
I just showered down my little lagomorph in the bathtub (lukewarm water, no shampoo) and other than the initial flinch from the water she seemed not to notice it, sniffing around happily in the bathtub.

I also hear stories about people who have their beloved bunnies in swimming pools (chlorine! :() who claim they like it, and other's seem to like getting baths.

I know if you do it too often you can dry out their skin (among other more serious problems) but do they enjoy it?

Thanks much~

It's just not necessary to give a rabbit a bath except if they are ill and/ need to be cleaned up.
Most rabbit don't like water and it is a stressor..

it also is not good to get their undercoat soaked as that is their protection from cold and heat

I know that some rabbits may like it but as a general rule for all reading this ..don't give your rabbit a full immersion bath.

I only give 4 baths. Why because one can't clean himself so well. An one is a PIG and gets himself dirty and his buddies. Mind you those last 3 are only once a month. I wish I didn't have to do it.

I've had to give them to rescue rabbits that come in just covered with filth ..so I've done it too.....

and I had to give Gabriel (RIP)a million butt baths as he was a mess
and I did advise years ago (remember Peapoo bunny??)
that the girl that owned Peapoo wash him off after her brother spilled liquid soap all over him.

I was the onlyperson on the infimary late at night and I was not a mod so I told her how to do it and then pmd all the mods asking ifI said the correct thing. ....:biggrin2:

NowI tell people how to do things late at night when I am the only one in the infirmary and wonder to myself if it was the right thing (or PM randy)

I had to give Nibbles (RIP) a butt bath once, he HATED it! I had to wear really thick gloves becuase he kept trying to nip me. That was the only time he ever tried to bite me, when he was scared.

If Toby needs a butt bath, I just let him hop around in the bathtub filled with about an inch or so of water. His little splashing-routine normally gets the poo softened, they I can wash it off easier. That way, only his little feet get soaked, but his bum gets a bit moistened, too.

When I was growing up in canada we had a TON of wild bunnies. When I was 4 or 5 I built a covered area in the woods to keep them sheltered from the snow and rain. We used wood plastic milk crates and 2 tarps I am 22 now and it is all still there keeping bunnies warm during the winter. My grandparents send me a picrture each year and you can see the burrows going down into the ground under the shelter.

But every summer when you walked up toward the dock to go inthe lake for a swim etc Bunnies would jump out of the water and run away. There are sources of water for them to drink like the creeks but they prefered to splash in the shallow end of the lake. So i would assume they do although Ally could care less.

Allysmom wrote:
When I was growing up in canada we had a TON of wild bunnies. When I was 4 or 5 I built a covered area in the woods to keep them sheltered from the snow and rain. We used wood plastic milk crates and 2 tarps I am 22 now and it is all still there keeping bunnies warm during the winter. My grandparents send me a picrture each year and you can see the burrows going down into the ground under the shelter.
Aww. I just had to mention how cute they must look all huddled up in there. You're such a good bunny-person! :)

Allysmom wrote:

But every summer when you walked up toward the dock to go inthe lake for a swim etc Bunnies would jump out of the water and run away. There are sources of water for them to drink like the creeks but they prefered to splash in the shallow end of the lake. So i would assume they do although Ally could care less.
Awwh if only you had pictures :shock:

Thats really kind :)

Becca
christmas_tree.gif

Latest posts

Back