50lb bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
I'm going to run to the store to grab another 10lb bag of Oxbow today. I called the feed store just to get a price check on the 50lb bag from them and I can order it through them for $34.95. Now that makes it .70 per lb buying the 50lbs and opposed to the $1 per lb buying it by 10lbs. So that's really a $1.50 savings overall, but I guess with gas prices it could be more.

My question is, does it last? I only have 3 buns and 1 is still transitioning from Kaytee to Oxbow and it's not complete yet. If I choose to ziplock bag and store in a airtight big plastic container would it last, or is it really not worth it?

Thanks!

The bags are dated - see how long it is. I've heard of freezing it but I don't know about that for sure.

I asked this same question a few weeks ago. I didn't get a strait answer. I ended up getting 2 10lb bags along with 7 seagrass mats.
I think you can freeze the pellets. If you don't freeze, store in air tight cantainers or bags. I also have containers for the pellets I am using.
You should find out how long a 50lb bag will last. It may not be worth it if you don't use a lot as the pellets can lose their nutritional value over time.

I wish I could get Oxbow that cheap. $1.80/lb is cheap here.

I was wondering the same thing and just sent an email to Oxbow asking them what their shelf life recommendation is. I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

Wow, that's expensive for a 50 pound bag of feed! I use Manna Pro and it only costs $11 for 50 pounds...and unfortunately I can't buy anything less because the Tractor Supply doesn't carry 25 pound bags :X. So I end up buying a 50 pound supply for two Netherland Dwarfs.

I'm going through the whole storing pellets in a big plastic storage bin process right now to see how long they last. I seem to remember someone on the forum saying NOT to store them in air tight containers which scares me because I don't know if a plastic storage bin with a top counts as air tight. It more or less has a loosely fitting locking top and is meant for storing household items.

Unfortunately, there's no expiration date on Manna Pro so I have to resort to smelling it every day and watching the bunnies for any pellet disapprovals. I can tell you that my pellets lasted at least 8 months being stored in plastic storage containers before. Beyond that, I do not know. At the 8 month point the remainder of the pellets was in the original Manna Pro bag in the storage room, where it got damp and moldy and really really stinky. There was about 10 pounds left in the bag and it had to be thrown away.

So based on my very limited experience with pellets, and the fact that I did manage to use up 40 pounds via 1/2 cup usage a day...I'd say that you should be able to go through a 50 pound bag within the duration of its freshness period.

From the Oxbow website:
What is the shelf life on the pellets?
The shelf life on the bagged pellets is one year from manufactured date and is stamped on the back of the bag as a "Best By" date.

If I am doing my math right, isn't that a $15 savings?

Also, I notice that they don't recommend freezing because the thawing process could introduce moisture into the pellets and result in mycotoxins.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Ihaven't usedmy 10 lb bag of Oxbow BB-T yet. By the way it cost me $30. :? Korr and Sophie, how much would a 50 lb bag cost?

The pellets I have now are Martins pellets thatcome in a 11 lb bag. I pour about a weeks supply into a smaller container and use that for the feeding of my two bunnies.I reseal the original Martins bag and try not to open it too often. I think the Martins lasts me for about 5 to 6 weeks.

Here's Korr and Sophie's thread that she mentions above. In it, I posted some threads that may help with your decision.

Personally, I'd LOVE to buy 50lb bags of it! With 7 buns, all getting 1/4c daily, that food goes FAST!

:biggrin2:

Here's the response I got back from Oxbow on shelf life:

Hello Kirstin: Thank you for contacting Oxbow Animal Health, with your inquiry. Bunny Basics T(BBT) 10# has a shelf-life of 2 years unopened, 6 months after opening. You can gain an additional 6 month shelf-life if you freeze unopened. A 50# BBT has a 1 year shelf life unopened with the other shelf lives being the same as the 10#. I am not sure what your rabbits’ weights are, but following our feeding guidelines, a 10# bag will last one 5# rabbit 4 months and a 50# bag would last the same weighted rabbit 1 ½ years. I also, would like to suggest you visit our home page, put your zip code in our Store Locator, and automatically click on a 50mile radius for best information. If you see stores listed with the yellow starburst title Oxbow Preferred Stores(OPS), they are a very good option for you. If they are OPSs they are required to care a baseline of our products and order in any of our products (incl. sizes). We can not establish the stores’ prices. If you call an OPS make sure you speak with a manager or assistant manager, which would be aware of our OPS program. Please let us know if I can be of future assistance to you. http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp Thanks Pam

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Ihaven't usedmy 10 lb bag of Oxbow BB-T yet. By the way it cost me $30. :? Korr and Sophie, how much would a 50 lb bag cost?

The pellets I have now are Martins pellets thatcome in a 11 lb bag. I pour about a weeks supply into a smaller container and use that for the feeding of my two bunnies.I reseal the original Martins bag and try not to open it too often. I think the Martins lasts me for about 5 to 6 weeks.

I don't quite remember. When I found that they had 50lb bags it was november or so. I think it was $80-$90, but I may be wrong. Still cheaper than at the vet.

kirst3buns wrote:
Here's the response I got back from Oxbow on shelf life:

Hello Kirstin: Thank you for contacting Oxbow Animal Health, with your inquiry. Bunny Basics T(BBT) 10# has a shelf-life of 2 years unopened, 6 months after opening. You can gain an additional 6 month shelf-life if you freeze unopened. A 50# BBT has a 1 year shelf life unopened with the other shelf lives being the same as the 10#. I am not sure what your rabbits’ weights are, but following our feeding guidelines, a 10# bag will last one 5# rabbit 4 months and a 50# bag would last the same weighted rabbit 1 ½ years. I also, would like to suggest you visit our home page, put your zip code in our Store Locator, and automatically click on a 50mile radius for best information. If you see stores listed with the yellow starburst title Oxbow Preferred Stores(OPS), they are a very good option for you. If they are OPSs they are required to care a baseline of our products and order in any of our products (incl. sizes). We can not establish the stores’ prices. If you call an OPS make sure you speak with a manager or assistant manager, which would be aware of our OPS program. Please let us know if I can be of future assistance to you. http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp Thanks Pam

WOW...great information!! I especially like the bolded parts. I believe when I first started calling around to their list of stores near me that carry Oxbow, and I called the OPS one at the top, they didn't have any in stock...so it's nice to know that I can talk to a manager or assistant manager, and relay that above information to them, and get somewhere! :)

Thanks for posting that! :D

Back when I didnt have 50 bajillion rabbits in the sanctuary and no show rabbits, I kept mine in the deep freeze. I pulled out exactly what I needed every evening about 10, and when I got up to feed at 7, it was thawed, they gobbled it all up, none left, and it worked out just fine.

None of mine ever died from mycoxitocin (sp?)

But now I am to the point where a 50lb bag of Petrus 700B with Calf Mana costs me around $14, and I go thru right at 90 lbs a day.

Yes I know.. 90 lbs A DAY...

People need to stop discarding their rabbits...

Im just seeing this thread- thats great info Kirsten (note to self to add to our library files) ;)

I buy 50# bags of Oxbow through my local PSP for about 40 (w/tax). My bunnies love it and they have never looked/acted healthier. 50#s lasts me about 2 months or so..and it comes in within days of ordering it. Ive never had a problem with any going bad.

Ive found though that with Oxbow Bunny Basics I have to emphasize "T" because the names are so similar. Last time they ordered me the 15/23 and had to send it back for the "T".

I have to travel to Scottsdale, AZ when I want Oxbow. The last time I got Oxbow I got five 10lbs bags and one 50lbs bag. So, I got 100lbs for $70, which is great for here. I have 5lbs left of the 10lbs bags and I still haven't busted into my 50lbs bag yet. My guys go through almost 10lbs a month between the four of them.

We are going back in July and I will need to get another 100lbs for Marlin, Morgan, and Brody of T....then get probably 50lbs for Benson of 15/23.

For storage, I go to a local hardware store and get big buckets that are used for storing paint. They seal air tight.

Latest posts

Back