5 month old holland lop dead

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score
One of my friends bought a rabbit from me a holland lop buck, she called me tonight and said that the rabbit was showing signs of white nasal discharge and seezing ten times in a row. She changed his hay and took the aspen shavings out of the back of his cage and he stopped sneezing and the discharge went away. hes almost 4 months old now and she said he wasnt as friendly for the past week and he had a rattle in his chest.They took him out yesturday and he was hopping around and fine then today he wouldnt come out they took him out he flopped over and died. I told her I would work to find out what happened can anyone tell me what it is?and how does it happen? Can you do anything to stop it?? thanks!!

I guess they didn't even attempt to take the rabbit to the vet. It sounds like the rabbit had a URI that went to pneumonia.

Did they keep him inside or outside? Was he ina drafty area?

So sorry.:(

It would be best if the rabbit was brought to a vet for a necropsy. Pneumonia is a possibility, but I also wonder if it could be congestive heart failure.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4585

If it was heart failure, the necropsy could probably also tell you whether it was a congenital defect (birth defect), which could affect future breeding decisions with the buck's parents.

I'd wait for the vet to say that. I don't know enough about heart defects in rabbits. I do know that sometimes random deaths of pet rabbits are found to be caused by heart problems but a lot of times I don't hear if there was a defect or what. Defects can also occur when the genetics are fine but the baby somehow develops wrong.

It sounds like a Pasturella infection was in the upper respiratory tract and then made its way to the lower part ie pneumonia. It could be caused by stress. Nearly all rabbits carry pasturella, but it can become an active infection due to the stress of moving.

I don't think it is anything to do with your breeding, Unless this is not the first time this has happened, I wouldn't feel too bad, these things happen.

redthunderrabbits wrote:
One of my friends bought a rabbit from me a holland lop buck, she called me tonight and said that the rabbit was showing signs of white nasal discharge and seezing ten times in a row. She changed his hay and took the aspen shavings out of the back of his cage and he stopped sneezing and the discharge went away. hes almost 4 months old now and she said he wasnt as friendly for the past week and he had a rattle in his chest.They took him out yesturday and he was hopping around and fine then today he wouldnt come out they took him out he flopped over and died. I told her I would work to find out what happened can anyone tell me what it is?and how does it happen? Can you do anything to stop it?? thanks!!

Sounds to me like a URI that was not treated fast enough.

In a young rabbit bacteial infections can progress rapidly ...
really sad

poor boy :(

i would like to say something positive here,..but i am afraid it will sound like criticism,,,.prey animals hide their weaknesses,they cannot show weakness to the enemy(predator)-at the first sign of illness the clock has already been ticking for sometime,,education,behaviorial awareness helps in longevity of rabbits life,,i donnot think anyone here will disagree with this statement,,and i wish simular threads,/that there would be more conformity,,,.the loss of any pet is distressful/painful,,sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back