4H showings??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossombunny

Reaction score
I have a question about showing arabbit. I notice some of you show pics of your rabbit and sayit is not show quality. So what exactly is showquality? My son wants to show his rabbit fo 4H nextyear. She is a holland lop, I believe she is called a bronkentort, but how do I tell if she is "showable" We have notjoined a 4H group yet, but will be attending our first meetingsoon. Hopefully they can help, but I was just wondering whatshow standards were. We have a pedigree on her going backthree generations on the moms side and just two generations on the dadsside I believe. She is not spayed yet, and right now is justover five months old. I certainly hope he can show her atleast once! Thanks for your help! Tracy

Lenci used to be a show bunny but now she's toofat -- sorry Lenci. :p She won third place injuniors a couple years ago and was docked for fur quality.Her fur is "matted" in the back.

A book called the "Standard of Perfection" is theguide used by judges and breeders. It explains the breedstandard for all 45 breeds as well as disqualifications and faults foreach breed. The Holland Lop should not exceed 4pounds. Being overweight is a common disqualification for theHollands. Eye spots and misaligned teeth are other common"DQ's" as well as health problems such as vent disease. Ifyou'd like more details on determining the "show quality" of a HollandLop, you can feel free to email me at[email protected] aswell as sending some photos for me to evaluate and I'd be glad to offeran opinion. We've been breeding Holland Lops for over 15years and I am an ARBA licensed rabbit judge.

Pam

Show standard or not, 4-H fairs are just plainFUN! I showed rabbits for years and years, all pet bunnies who weren'tstellar show animals. Bunbun was an especial favorite--the 4-H peoplestill remember him fondly. Our bunnies were gregarious and easygoing(mostly), and I used it as an educational opportunity when people wouldstop and admire them. Bunbun on a leash was a HUGE hit with the littlekids, whom he loved.

If you think your bunny has a possible DQ, try the pet rabbit class, where overall health and condition is assessed.

Results were never a big part of the fair for me--I just liked beingpart of the rabbit programand lack of champions was not a bigdeal.

The biggest problem with 4-H shows is neglect. It's horrible, but thereare often animals left in cages without food or water in temps nearing100F. High mortality when the temps spike in mid-July. And sickness,although a good rabbit supt. will keep a close eye on that and sendsick buns home. I brought a cooler for ice bottles and camped in thebarn for the run of the fair.

So try it even if you don't think you have a champion--it's fun. Thereare risks any time you get a bunch of bunnies in the same spot (likelittle kids passing germs, etc.), but it worked for us. I hope to goback and do the petting zoo with Bub and Pandemonium next summer.

Some very good memories of the 4-H fairs!!

Rose

Latest posts

Back