2 different breeds in one litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
So as some of you may or may not have seen, we adopted a stray rabbit (looks to be for the most part, a mini lop [not purebred]).
She gave birth to a litter of four, and for some reason one of the rabbits is completely different to the others. The others are nice and fuzzy with ears that are starting to lop like mama.
The different one has longer ears, a different shaped face, is much smaller and has short fur... that is a little wavy.... we are hazarding a guess to say it's a rex?

Does this happen in rabbits? is this possible or is he just slower to develop? Could he have a different dad to the other three? is it possible Mama had some sort of dormant rex gene that came out?

Nope, you cant have 2 different breeds in one litter.
Lets say if the mum is a mini lop and the dad is a rex all the babies in the litter will be Mini Lop X Rex, a crossbred.

Kinda like with mini lops and cashmere lops, I know some breeders that have had mini lop litters born and cashmere lops randomly popping up in them.
And Flemish Giant litters, with mini lop ears, its all in the breedings.

T.A Bunnies wrote:
Lets say if the mum is a mini lop and the dad is a rex all the babies in the litter will be Mini Lop X Rex, a crossbred.

Kinda like with mini lops and cashmere lops, I know some breeders that have had mini lop litters born and cashmere lops randomly popping up in them.
so it's likely that they are a lop/rex cross and majority of the bebes are showing lop like traits and the rexy one is just showing the rexy traits?

ps a flemmie with lop ears would be sooo cute!

maxysmummy wrote:
T.A Bunnies wrote:

so it's likely that they are a lop/rex cross and majority of the bebes are showing lop like traits and the rexy one is just showing the rexy traits?

Yes, what breed is the dad?

T.A Bunnies wrote:
maxysmummy wrote:
T.A Bunnies wrote:

Yes, what breed is the dad?
Unfortunately we have no idea... she came to us from a really irresponsible "shelter" where she was due to be put down. the night we rescued her she gave birth. :(

Oh my.
Do you have photo of the babies? not that I need them but it will be interesting to see what he looks like, and to guess what other breed they are.

there is a gene that if it messes up the hair can appear 'curly' and odd. maybe thats what is going on with this ones hair.

and lop mixes, not all of thems ears will lop

Because of recessive genes, lots of random things can pop up in a litter. For example, many Holland Lops carry the wool gene so sometimes even when breeding purebred Hollands, a "fuzzy lop" will pop up. It is not an American Fuzzy Lop, it is just a Holland that inherited the wool gene.

So that is probably what's happening here. Rex is a recessive gene, so if a baby ends up with that, it means that both parents carry for it- which likely means that they are either rex or rex mixes.

I had this with crossbred foster babies that I raised for the shelter. The mom was an up-eared, normal-furred black rabbit. The potential dads all looked like agouti lop mixes. Out of 2 litters (got preggers again immediately after birthing), she had 3 blackrexes, one steel dutch with uppylop-shaped earsand body (Myheart's Zappa), and several agouti and chocolate steel rabbits with varying lop shape and tilted ears.

The rexes were all kind of curly/wavy, which was really cute.

Like Julie said, recessive genes can be fun.:)

If she was in a situation with more than one male around don't overlook the fact that she could have bred with more than one male.

RAL Rabbitry wrote:
If she was in a situation with more than one male around don't overlook the fact that she could have bred with more than one male.

That's what I was asking... So it IS possible she bred with 2 different males and had 2 different dads to the babies? Anything is possible as she was on the street...

Latest posts

Back