1st cut or 2nd cut?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon16166

Reaction score
Wich is better first cut or second cut hay? and how long will 15lbs last a small rabbit?

I think that most rabbits prefer the 2nd cut. It is a lot softer and leafier. I actually have some 3rd cut on hand right now that is a huge hit with the buns. 15 lbs. should last you at least 2 months.

My bunnies must be in the hay minority, since they usually go for the stemmy bits first, so they've always enjoyed the coarser first cut than the soft second cut.
So I would say both would work, but it's usually just the individual preference of the bunny.

Someone might know this, but for the nutritional value, isn't the higher the cut, the more nutrients in it? But with the lower the cut, more fiberous? Hmm.. I'll have to look that up.

Ours love the first cut. Their currently finishing off last years 1st cut but we just bought 3 bales of this years so they even going to be more determined to get in the bin.
We get the 1st cut because it has plenty of fiber and is better for their teeth plus they love it.

First cut is nice, as long as it's cut early enough.
If it's cut too late it will tend to be stemmy... even later and it will have a lot of seed heads.
My buns pick at it, and most of it goes to waste.

My buns like second cut over first cut.
But, they still pick through it and a good amount end up in the mulch pile.

Third cut is the preferred in our warren.
The buns literally eat mouth fulls at a time....and very little goes to waste.
It may be just me, but I think their coats look much nicer when they're eating the third cut, too.

My buns love the first cut much better than the second...

They will eat all the little fuzzy seed heads off then eat the stems. I think the crunchier it is, the more they like it!

Weird little bunnies!!!

Latest posts

Back