On going abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryplb

Reaction score
My bunny Peter is 7 and I rescued him last year, when he came to me he had many abscesses. I was able to rid him of them with an oral antibiotic. This year he got one on his cheek and I've been treating it with orbax for 2 months. It wouldn't go away just decrease in size. I have started him on bicillin injections under the skin, for a week I was giving it every other day. This week I'm giving it everyday bc I have yet to see a difference. My vet isn't much help bc he doesn't think rabbits can take penicillin. I did the research and he got me what I asked for.
I am hoping someone out there can help me. Peter is 4.5 lbs and I'm giving him daily shots of .07 cc bicillin. I have not noticed any change in his abscess and surgery is not an option. He feels fine, eating and hopping around. He has a lot of life in him and I'm not ready to give up. I just need to know if it takes time for the meds to kick in or is there anything else I can try.

"A growing number of U.S. veterinarians are finding great success using a combination of Penicillin G Procaine and Penicillin G Benzathine for treating rabbit abscesses. It was not only helpful in shrinking abscesses, but in many cases, eradicated it leaving no infection. I found more stories of bunny owners using this form of treatment. However, I MUST CAUTION you that this treatment is administered as an injection only and NOT given orally. This combination of penicillin cocktail is known as bicillin and is injected every 48 hours. Another penicillin treatment is to inject Penicillin G Procaine every 24 hours."

My rabbit had injections of penicillin and did fine. Maybe you could find a more experienced rabbit savvy vet in your area? I don't have experience with abscesses but I've heard they have a high probability of coming back.

Last edited:
If it's on his cheek, perhaps there is an underlying tooth issue that is preventing the abscess from going away.

I don't know enough about treating them otherwise to comment. Chris Doc's bunny Bandy has an abscess on his jaw that she's been treating for months. Might be worth checking out her thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/lump-under-chin-79646/

My bunny Peter is 7 and I rescued him last year, when he came to me he had many abscesses. I was able to rid him of them with an oral antibiotic. This year he got one on his cheek and I've been treating it with orbax for 2 months. It wouldn't go away just decrease in size. I have started him on bicillin injections under the skin, for a week I was giving it every other day. This week I'm giving it everyday bc I have yet to see a difference. My vet isn't much help bc he doesn't think rabbits can take penicillin. I did the research and he got me what I asked for.
I am hoping someone out there can help me. Peter is 4.5 lbs and I'm giving him daily shots of .07 cc bicillin. I have not noticed any change in his abscess and surgery is not an option. He feels fine, eating and hopping around. He has a lot of life in him and I'm not ready to give up. I just need to know if it takes time for the meds to kick in or is there anything else I can try.
He has seen two vets and both say it isn't caused by a tooth but instead a bacteria that lives in his body.

He has seen two vets and both say he has good teeth, that the abscesses are caused by an bacteria that lives inside him. Called pathloma... Or something like that

Well that's a good sign :) Tooth issues can be very problematic. I hope you can work out a solution.

Bandy has been treated with both bicilin and antibiotics. Bicilin (every 72 hours)really helped and the abscess has shrunk so we were ready to stop injections and see what happened. Unfortunately, another abcess appeared and we changed to antibiotics (twice a day) and it was under control. Last week she made an incision and planted an antibiotic bead and stapled the wound. A week later it has nearly disappeared but the secondary capsule is still there but has changed shape and has a softer area. We are continuing with injections for a further week to see if it comes right to the surface so he can open and plant a bed. Abscesses are a real pain as difficult to clear completey but some do go away. You do need loads of patience and a great vet to think for you as sometimes treatment has to be adapted to prevent resistance of the medication to the bacteria. I take every day as it comes and hope for the best.

Peter has been on the bicillin shot for 3 weeks and yesterday I saw the first sign it is working. His abscess was a hard ball but now it is smaller and softer. I will continue this process until it is completely gone and for a couple of weeks after so I can be sure it will not come back. If you have a bun with an abscess I recommend you start bicillin before you try any thing else.

Glad to see he's,doing well and hope it clears,completely. Bandy was in the home straight and on our last visit, we detected another lump. The current one is softer now and I hope that on Monday, she can make an incision and put in the antibiotic bead again....fingers crossed :)

Latest posts

Back