Myxo in Adelaide

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
I've just received news through SA Rabbit Rescue and Adoptions that there's been several cases of myxomatosis in the Adelaide metro area and suburbs recently. Keep your bunnies safe, hutches mosquito-proofed or better yet get them inside away from the insects.

Be aware of the early warning signs and if you suspect illness get your bunny to a vet ASAP. In extreme cases, myxomatosis can cause death within 48 hours. It cannot be cured outright, but only combated with supportive care/medication.

Watch out for:
-Eyes, nose, mouth, swollen and moist
-Swollen genitalia
-Creamy discharge from eyes
-Lethargy/listlessness
-Loss of appetite
-Swollen and droopy ears

Last edited:
Reported cases:

Adelaide Hills: Mt Barker, Cherry Gardens and Blackwood are recent reports.
Suburbs: Mitcham, Hindmarsh, Lonsdale, Plymptom
and the Barossa valley area.

Fortunately, none of these reports are from my area, but it doesn't take much to spread and it doesn't meant that there haven't been cases near me.

Damnit, Blackwood and Cherry Gardens are right by me! :(

More locations:
Northern: Para Vista
Central: Unley
Southern: Aldinga

I've sent a message to my local rabbit rescue lady to confirm, but I photographed a wild rabbit today, about 1.5-2km away from my house that had swollen eyes with a creamy discharge. The rabbit was also a little lethargic in that it didn't move away from me until I was quite close.

When the rabbit let me approach I was actually looking forward to getting some nice images, because I've wanted some nice photos of wild rabbits for the longest time. But when I started taking photos is when I noticed the eyes. I've linked to one of the photos below. Warning: the eye is swollen and weepy, but it's nothing overly graphic. If you're worried about myxo, I would at least look at the photo, will give you an idea of what to look for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Azerane/IMG_0470EuropeanRabbitsm_zpsa6659e5b.jpg

If confirmed:
Northern Suburbs-
Greenwith
Golden Grove
Salisbury Plain
Salisbury Heights
(And surrounds: Wynn Vale and Gulfview Heights)

:(

:( Poor little bugger. Thanks for the photo. I've never seen it, so an idea of what to look out for is very helpful.

Latest posts

Back