Can anyone tell me what breed of rabbit I have?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The four pictures attached are all of my black bunny, Dahlia. I have asked two vets what kind of breed she is and neither could tell me. Although, the vet that has been showing mini Rex for years, say she definitly isn't a Rex because her fur is too long and too fine/soft to be that of a Rex's. She also said she is not shiny/sheen enough to be a Satin and too small for her age to be a New Zealand. She is 1-2years old and is 5 pounds 6 ounces. She is about the size of a Chihuahua on all fours (picture shown) and almost 2 feet on her hind legs. Her skin is white and her fur is white at the base and mostly black at the top with a few white hairs scattered all over, and whitish grey fur on her feet. Dahlia has a pretty calm/mild temperment although she will occasionally bite or dig, she flops like every 2 minutes, is very friendly and overall relaxed. My rabbit vet actually called her on of the most well behaved rabbit she had ever seen. Can anyone help me figure out what breed she is? Or if she is a mix, what breeds she is?

1385473546604.jpg

1385473557276.jpg

1385473572186.jpg

1385473589969.jpg

appears to be a standard mixed breed rabbit. what cross....you'd have to see what is most popular in your area and then guess. :)

She looks like a Havana to me~

She looks like a Havana to me~

Could be - this is a black Havana at the ARBA show last month, and it looks very similar:

havana-black_8206-7846.jpg

The Havana breed has an ideal adult weight of 4.5-6.5 pounds. The back is curved evenly from the base of the ears to a peak at the hips, then smoothly down to the tail. The neck is short and the head broad. Havanas have "flyback" fur - if you stroke the fur "backward" (tail to head), it returns quickly to a flat position.

Does that describe your bunny?

Thanks. I was thinking maybe Havana too...She is the right weight and she has very soft fly back fur, but I can't tell if she has a compact body type...from pictures online compact, comercial, and semi-arch all look the same to me. Can you tell from the pictures? She does look exactly like the one in your picture though, except for the whiteish grey fur on her feet.

Semi-arch can actualy be pretty distinct in some pictures, but I can't hardly tell comercial from compact.

I have three black havana mixes.

Tank is a Havana / Rex mix (I believe) and the other two, pictured together are New Zealand / Havana mixes, and that I am pretty certain of. As you can see, they look similar to your rabbit as well, although probably larger. Tossing my vote in for a Havana or Havana mix for Dahlia.

They have really nice fur. Petting other rabbits (except rex furred rabbits) has been a real disappointment after getting these buns LOL.

tanksecondfloor.jpg

tworabbits.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back