Harnesses?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jen92473

Reaction score
So, while at the pet store to get Jellybean's claws clipped (she won't be picked up!!), we asked them to put a harness on her for walking. They put a "string" harness on-not the vest kind. She got home, I let her roam around, she went under the couch and managed to wrangle it off! How many of you have a harness for your bun and do you leave it on all the time, or put it on and take it off?

I personally would never leave the harness on the rabbit as they could get caught on something and get stuck, break the harness, or even chew through right through it! You wouldn't get much out of a broken harness!

I never have the harness on my rabbits unless I'm using it at that moment. There are just too many risks in it.

Personally I would only put a harness on when I would be able to supervise them or spending time with my bunny either walking or agility training. They could get caught by the harness during their explorations or as mentioned above may find a way to chew it off.

It's not a good idea to leave the harness on unsupervised. Some rabbits will chew them, but they can get a foot caught or have something else happen. If they are running around, it could get caught on something. Even around the house, a rabbit should not need to have a harness on.

String or rope harnesses are not suitable for rabbits. They tend to have a leash attached. The thin cord could strangle a rabbit easily. Most slip on and off, so will tighten if pulled the wrong way.
RABBIT-HARNESS-&-LEAD-SET.JPG

Vest harnesses aren't great ether. The velcro can be plugged up with fur and won't close property. Some have had the velcro attach to carpet and the rabbit gets stuck. They are hard to get tight enough, especially on a fluffier rabbit. They are also restrictive and can make it hard for the rabbit to have full range of motion.
images

I recommend an H style harness. They are light weight and don't restrict movement. Most rabbits do not have a problem wearing one. They can be adjusted and have a buckle so the size is the same every time. They are the ones used for rabbit hopping and agility and usually the only kind most clubs will allow.
images

Both of my rabbits use a lupine 9-14 inch cat harness with a bungee leash I got from a different cat harness.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042AMNQ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I like the bungee leash because it doesn't make them come to such a sudden stop and this is one of very few harness I've tried that they haven't managed to wriggle their way out of.

They only wear them when we go on outings in the yard, not when they're unattended.

Last edited by a moderator:
my rabbit has a vest harness and a "string" harness .... she wont keep either on shes like a ninja trying to get it off her and when its on and im with her she refuses to move i turn my back and she has it off! any tips on how to keep it on her safely?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I have both the vest and H harness for my rabbits and they work wonderfully! They dont have harnesses on 24/7 only when im out doing training and watching them

I have an "H" harness for Bandit. I'm not a fan of the string ones, and I feel like the vest ones might restrict movement a little too much. He's fine with his harness on, she may have wrangled it off because she's not used to wearing it. I introduced Bandit to his harness very slowly. First I let him get used to the smell of it etc, then I would sit it on top of his shoulders/back and pet him while it was on there. After that, I moved onto clipping up the loop around his neck and I would have that on him and pet him and give him treats etc. Then when he was completely fine with that I would clip on the second loop and give more praise etc. And then when he seemed fine with wearing it I let him out to hop around in his free space with it on, so it was like a reward for wearing it. Some rabbits may be fine, but you can't always clip something on an animal and expect them to be fine with it, it's a very strange new sensation, especially for a prey animal to have something around their back and chest that may feel like they are being captured by something.

As for how often I put his harness on, before I let him out of his room to run around, I always put it on. Not because it needs to be on, but so that he stays used to it and getting to be out and run around is a reward for getting his harness put on. After he's been out for 15 minutes I usually take it off. Then, obviously if I'm going to take him outside for a walk, I'll put his harness and leash on, then take it straight off when we get back inside. :)

Does anyone know where to have a custome harness made for s certain design?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Rabbit Forum mobile app

Back