Advice and help needed in splayed leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cherries

Reaction score
So, we are adding a holland lop to our family this Saturday. He's itty bitty and the runt. Apparently today while they were out playing she noticed he showed signs of a splayed leg? She would be willing to give him to me if I was willing to splint. She said most of the time they are able to be fixed. Otherwise there is another one she has we are interested in too. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance! Just want to do the right thing.

I would take the one that is a runt and take him to the vet and get his leg fixed. I also deal with rescues and believe all of the animals deserve a chance at happiness and to have a decent life. Get that poor baby splinted and fixed so he can live a normal life...

That is my two cents... I have dealt with animals with medical problems before as well.

Vanessa

It's really up to you, whether you feel you are up to taking on a little bun that may end up being a special needs rabbit, because there is always that possibility of the legs not correcting completely. These special little buns can certainly be a rewarding experience, not to mention you would be providing a loving caring home. But you do need to go into it prepared, as they can require a lot of extra care and nursing, depending on the severity of the condition.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/splayleg.html

It's really up to you, whether you feel you are up to taking on a little bun that may end up being a special needs rabbit, because there is always that possibility of the legs not correcting completely. These special little buns can certainly be a rewarding experience, not to mention you would be providing a loving caring home. But you do need to go into it prepared, as they can require a lot of extra care and nursing, depending on the severity of the condition.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/splayleg.html

Thanks :) my feeling & my husband is we don't want to get in over our heads at first. It's been over 10 years since I've had a rabbit. So I think we are going with brother and let her keep him & splint the leg to see if it fixes it. If so maybe I can convince hubby we need two bunnies! I'm thinking his leg issue might be why he's only a quarter of the size as his siblings..

I would take the one that is a runt and take him to the vet and get his leg fixed. I also deal with rescues and believe all of the animals deserve a chance at happiness and to have a decent life. Get that poor baby splinted and fixed so he can live a normal life...

That is my two cents... I have dealt with animals with medical problems before as well.

Vanessa

I agree they all need some loving regardless.. Just not sure we are the right family as I haven't owned a rabbit in a long time. I think he might be better cared for by the breeder as far as a splint ect. Of course when we see him sat & his bro I might totally change my mind lol

Don't feel pressured into saving him. It's perfectly all right, and in your case I think for the best, to take a healthier sibling and leave him with the breeder, who likely has more experience caring for special needs buns and determining when they are healthy anough to be rehomed. Like you said you have young kids around, who may want to play and cuddle with the new bun. A quarter of the size of his sibling is also, imo, very very runty and I would definitely want to keep him with his mom longer.

Don't feel pressured into saving him. It's perfectly all right, and in your case I think for the best, to take a healthier sibling and leave him with the breeder, who likely has more experience caring for special needs buns and determining when they are healthy anough to be rehomed. Like you said you have young kids around, who may want to play and cuddle with the new bun. A quarter of the size of his sibling is also, imo, very very runty and I would definitely want to keep him with his mom longer.

Thanks :) I would do anything to save an animal, just think the best thing is for him to stay with the breeder longer. She did say she fell in love with him so she very well may keep him.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393382242.097875.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1393382254.162945.jpg

Here is brother.. He's adorable! Now to think of names... :)

I think you made the right choice. Splinting the leg may or may not correct the problem. Sometimes it helps, but I believe there tends to be a genetic predisposition that plays into it too. It's better to leave the rabbit with the breeder.

Latest posts

Back