Worries about spay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustiechick

Reaction score
Ok so we are flying with dustie on thursday to Edmonton for her spay.. If youve read my past post you know that because I live in such a small city I have decided to fly her out to get it done because of the lack of vet expertise.
So we are flying with me in the cabin. On Thursday. Then on Friday mooring we will take her to the vet for surgery. She will stay overnight to make sure shes eating/pooping/ ect.. Then we fly home on Sunday mourning.

I am FREAkING! This shouldn't be such a nerve wreaking thing!! What if somthng goes wrong during surgery? What if she goes into shock on the plane? what if what if what if? And it doesn't help that I've been reading other peoples spay horror stories online. maybe I just need reassurance? Help guys...

Well you certainly are awonderful devoted rabbit slave to fly your bunny to a good vet for a spay. :)

Ifthe vet is experienced and has done a lot of spay/ neuters on rabbits without losing any then you have very little to worry about.

Since 2005 we have had 100s of rabbits neutered/spayed at one clinic with experienced vets and during that period we have lost only 1 rabbit who had an undetected respiratory infection.

I believe that all of this will be harder on you than on her
let us know :)

but do make sure that you are going to an experienced rabbit vet

http://rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Thank you angleLuv! :)
The vet says they go through rabbits, ferrets, chinchillas, guinea pigs weekly with few problems. I was reading a review for them online And someone said they were great with rabbits!

Rachel, you are doing the right thing. I was a nervous wreck and I only had a car ride (went through this two weeks ago). As long as you have a good vet, which it sounds like you do, and your sweet bun is eating before you come home I think everything should be fine. You might want to take some critical care with you just in case since it is a plane ride away. Be sure she has enough pain medication and you keep her quiet for two weeks. I had a hard time not giving in when she would bang on the bars to be let out and Becky ended up pulling a stitch playing with the cat. Don't assume she knows her own limitations once she is starting to feel better. I honestly think I was more stressed than she was with the whole procedure. Good luck!

:hug1

try not to stress! your stress will make her stress more (i SWEAR by the notion that animals can read people very well).

can you stay a few nights in the place where the vet is just so you dont have to fly her back the next day?

Eep. I don't know if thats possible,, we Got points flights so it might be hard to rebook, plus I don't think I can take more time off work, but the flight is is two days after surgery.. And the vet said it wou.dbbe fine because quote: " the little ones bounce back fast" ?

Dustiechick wrote:
Eep. I don't know if thats possible,, we Got points flights so it might be hard to rebook, plus I don't think I can take more time off work, but the flight is is two days after surgery.. And the vet said it wou.dbbe fine because quote: " the little ones bounce back fast" ?

ohhh if you've got a few days of rest that should be fine! i just thought it may be stressful if you get straight on the plane after her spay

We are in Emonton! Dustie was very good on the plane. I think she was sleeping most of the time! :p the only turbulence was when we had to CARRY her through security!! She was TeRrIFIEd! Luckily it was only a few minutes.. Right now she in binkying on the carpet and eating spinach, oats, and hay. And licking herself. Tomorrow morning is her surgery! Wish us luck!!

We got a call from the vet and she said everything went fine. She said dusty has a small incision. Which shohuld heal quickly and she was already coming back from the anacheasea when they called. She will be on pain meds for a few days which is good and the vet will show us show us how to carry her through sercurity with her insicion. And they clipped her nails while she was under which is always a plus! :)

EXCELLENT NEWS!! i luv to hear that they made it thru their surgery so well...i lost my heart bunny during her spay ...so when i read threads like this i never comment until after the spay is done and ur bun does well..most buns do just fine.which really makes me sigh with relief..i hold my breath with you..,,i really do.

Oh I missed this.

Welcome to Edmonton. Which Vet did you see? Did you have a chance topick up some suppliesat places likeG&E Pharmacy to take home with you.

I went to riverbend vet clinic.. No I didn't pick up any supplies but I think my vet Is giving pain meeds and othe r supplies. :) thank you everyone for supporting me! Now I just have to survive the plane ride home! :S wish us luck! Oh btw the vet said they were able to do the surgery with a very small insicion so it will heal faster! Yay.. dustie comes home tomorrow and I'll update when I see her!

Latest posts

Back