Worms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrel

Reaction score
Hi I'm a first time bunny owner. Igroomed both my bunnies about a two days ago and everything seemedOK. However I had noticed that their appetites seem to haveincreased dramatically,I didn't think too much of this as theweather is getting colder here in the UK and I thought they were justincreasing their eating to keep warm.

Just now when I picked Blackberry out of her run I noticed that she hadsmall white things around her bottom. I have cleaned her upand presume that these are worms. They were white, about4-5mm long and appeared to be dead.

What do you think they are and if they are worms how do I treather. I guess if Blackberry has them then Squirrel will too asthey share a hutch. I always insist that the girls wash theirhands after handling the rabbits but can these be transferred to humans?

Thanks.

I have just done a search on the forum re worms and have found thethread from Freddy - lots of great info! Sorry I should have done thesearch before posting. I will ring my vet as it looks likepinworm and see what meds I can get.

Pinworms are very common in rabbits and oftenseen around the rim of the rectum, where they lay their eggs.Take a small piece of scotch tape, press it too the rectum to pick upany microscopic eggs eggs and take it too the vet forobservation. If you have a microscope, you can also observethe eggs, which are oval in shape.

Pam

The eggs are very light and easily spread wherethey can get into food and water supplies. Pinworms are verycommon in the domestic rabbit and many rabbits have a lowinfestation. Many bunnies will have picked them up from theirdams.

Pam

Are these the same kind of worms that can becaused by fleas? Bun has fleas, scratches and bites at them,then ingests them, causing the worms in poop and around the rectum?

Pinworms are not transmitted by fleas -- rabbits are the primary host with no intermediate host.

Fleas can transmit tapeworm.

Pam

Latest posts

Back