Worming rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
I have now learnt that worming rabbits is just as inportant as worming a cat, dog or horse.

It is a simple thing to do, just squeezingsome paste into the rabbits mouth through a syringe,and is only necersary every 3- 4 months unless new rabbits are introduced! Then a 9 day course is advised.

Why so often?

I would only worm my rabbits if they needed it. Intestinal parasites should be visible in their poop. And worming medicine may cause problems to some rabbits.

I'm guessing you're using different meds, too. The most common here is Ivermectin which is often just given in one dose unless treating something like pinworms that are hard to eradicate (but often don't do harm to the rabbit).

Edit: A simple fecal test can be done to determine if a rabbit has worms, coccidia, or a bacterial infection of the intestines. It's very inexpensive- my vet charges $15.

Double Edit: Do you do this with cats and dogs too? Horses I know need regular wormings, but cats and dogs here are treated only after weaning and then as needed.

I worm my rabbits probably about twice a year, the reason being is that they live on grass so I feel it to be pretty important. One rabbit came to me with worms already and made me think more about worming,

They've only been wormed once so far as I haven't had them for a year, and didn't even think of worming my past rabbits.

I guess I can see it if your rabbits are outside. Mine aren't, and neither are my cats so there's nothing they can get that they don't already have.

Is it possible to track things in on feet or shoes? My kitten isn't allowed outside either and I was wondering if she really needs worming every month or not. She always seems to feel unwell after worming.

yer my rabbits live outside all year on grass and mud so worms is quite likely! i think if i had a completly inside rabbit i wouldnt bother as there is no chance of them getting any!

the stuff which i use is called Panacur and the vet said every 3 months they need a dose.

i have some pics of me trying to worm my bunnies last night on my phone i will load them up later on!

Well, I know that I have used ivermectin when I thought the bunnies had mites (Clover I think had them when we got her).....

But it seems to me that before he passed away, a gentleman here had a rabbit die from a dose of it.

Without an exotics vet's direction, I won't do it that often or just to worm them. If mine were outside and on the ground I might but house bunnies I don't think are as likely to get worms. I could be wrong.

I took my mini-rex to the vet last week and she said I did right with the ivermectin and didn't say anything about any further worming.

I have never heard of a wormer paste for rabbits what we use is mixed with their drinking water and they get it maybe 2x a year.. ( can be given more often if thought it was needed.. but never felt WE HAD to do it...)

We use panacur on the horses.So is ivermectin and panacur might have ivermectin in it. With horses we rotate wormers to make sure they don't become immune and we get all types of parasites.

Worms generally aren't visible in the droppings unless the rabbit is heavily infested. I recommend having your rabbit tested every six months and treating only if needed.

Pinworms are one of the most common internal parasites of rabbits.

Pam

I've never wormed mine, and their poops always come up clean at their vet checks. During warm weather they are outside often and I so far haven't had a problem. I wouldn't get out the worming medicine unless the vet told me to.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
We use panacur on the horses.So is ivermectin and panacur might have ivermectin in it. With horses we rotate wormers to make sure they don't become immune and we get all types of parasites.

Ahh thanks Bo!:DI knew it was used for treating buns with ec but I'd never heard of it usedas a wormer before.:)

Ivermectin is the name of the medication in the wormers, although there used to be a brand that carried that name as well but I'm not sure about it anymore. I use Panomec. But mine live outside all year around and I only worm if I have reason to believe they need it. No matter what kind of medication, using it unnecessarily can cause it to become less effective. I do not medicate my rabbits unless I have to.

No I don't and I won't unless they need it, why give them unnecessary medication?

We've had enough problems with Berri and probably if we give her extra medication something would go wrong.

And I struggle to get Pebble to eat anything,even treats, she gets scared so easily of the slightest thing,I wouldn't put her through that unless she needed it.

Obviously if they had a positive test forworms I wouldn't hesitate:)

I dont worm any of my animals routinely. I do however do regualr fecal floats whenever they go in the vet's office for a wellness check up. The only time I would consider worming would be if they were displaying symptoms or if something showed up in the fecal float. But I only have one rabbit that lives inside year round so her risk of parasites is very low. If i had my rabbit(s) outside and had lots and lots of them in close proximity I would probably worm at least once.

I have about 50 (give or take with the babies I have) And never wormed them untill I got my 2 english lops. No matter what we tried they were not gaining weight so it was suggested to us to worm them.. We did, and they gained the weight they needed and looked alot better... (one was almost 1 lb underweight!) So if your rabbits are eating and look like they are loseing weight instead of gaining or at least MAINTAININg... I suggest to worm them...

I'd much prefer to get a fecal float done and go on the vet's advice re. whether the meds are necessary or not. Medicines aren't harmless substances, for animals or humans, and need to be used judicioulsy and with care.

I know I tend to think of over the counter stuff as harmless, but most otc stuff is really quite powerful (aspirin, for instance).

The worming paste I use was given to me by the vet, because Lucky arrived with a very bad case of worms and fleas. He made me up a mild solution and reccomends it's used twice a year due to worms being transfered from fleas and wandering cats.

However, I'm not sure if I'll worm them again ever after reading this thread - unless of course they need it.

Latest posts

Back