Will bunny run away?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tterster

Reaction score
How long did you wait to put your bunny downoutside? I worry bout her running away and not coming back? I don'twant to take any chances? Please help.

Iwould never leave my bun on the groundunless it was in a very well confined area or had a harness on. Bunscould startle and run away if they were scared. I wouldn't risk itunless you had a bunny run set up or a harness and leash. My bunnysenjoy going out in the spring with a harness and lead on, either thator I put them in the dog kennel, they can't get out of that because ithas railroad ties all around to prohibit digging out. Hope this helps.

Fergi's mom

Never put a bunny down outside without a bunnysafe fence around the area or a leash on it. When my baby Mocha wasfirst brought home at 7 weeks, we'd put him on the ground in the openwith us there to grab them because when they are that little they don'tgo too far. But after they get to around 12 weeks they start to becomevery independent and may run off for good. As they get older I findthey are more and more likely to run off and not come back.

Darn babbits! LOL We hadHenry on his lead and still he'd try to get into next door'sgarden!! We havea custom made run which we can foldup and use indoors and out, it's basically some garden trellis (thesquare kind, not the collapsable diamond shaped ones) all tied togetherwith wires and then some wire netting around the outside. Ifyou do make one yourself, keep all the wires facing out of the run tostop the bunny snagging itself on it. Oh and bunnies cansqueeze through little spaces so make sure the space between the wiresis small enough. Once Rosie could squeeze her head out ofsomewhere, her body was sure to follow!

My first rabbit, Rosie,used to get the run of the garden andas soon as she found out she could get under the garage, she always ranunder there! She used to go missing for hours... it's reallynot worth the heartache to let them out in open spaces. :?

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Never put a bunny down outside without a bunny safe fencearound the area or a leash on it. When my baby Mocha was first broughthome at 7 weeks, we'd put him on the ground in the open with us thereto grab them because when they are that little they don't go too far.But after they get to around 12 weeks they start to become veryindependent and may run off for good. As they get older I find they aremore and more likely to run off and not come back.
MyBunnyBoys, also don't forget how Mocha ran away and followed you to school one day! :shock:

He didn't follow me, that's just where he endedup! I consider myself very lucky, especially considering that my houseis across the street from a school yard and beyond that is farms.

I've been very fortunate with Mocha not running off, but I don't think most rabbits are like that!

No, you're absolutely right. Mostrabbits would make a break for it ... keep running ... and wouldn'tlook back! :(

I always use a harness/leash. When Iwas your I had a English Spot. I went around the yard and putchicken wire any place where she might get out of the fence.I used to let her run each evening. She was pretty good atjust running and eating clover, so I didn't have a problem. Inever left her out alone.

My house has too many places for my rabbits to get out. PlusI have a shed that is off of the ground and they could get underit. Also I have seen hawks chase birds in the yard.They are silent and very fast.

Ed

Latest posts

Back