Will a English Mastiff be safe around my Flemish Giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crepecrepes

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get a dog for some time now, particularly an English Mastiff.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea?

Depends on the individual dog, his temperament and how well he listens/is trained.

We have a 160lb Newfoundland mix and a labradoodle. They both get on with the rabbits no problem. Granted, the Newf is known for its gentleness and submissive temperament. Larry (@Nancy McClelland ) has large dogs too.

For what it's worth, I have a page on my website that explains how I've trained my dogs with my rabbits. No guarantees, of course, since it depends on how much genetic disposition an individual dog may have to overcome. But it may give you some ideas. It's here.

Depends on how trainable the dog is. We had a Doberman that would chase anything. birds included. Very smart dog--she knew to never go after our other pets and would even walk around with our 2 Cockatiels on her back--outside birds would get eaten if she caught them. We have 2 Great Danes and they are the sweetest breed of dog and don't pay any attention to our many birds or bunnies

Back