Wide Open Space/Exercise Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandorly

Charlatan
Reaction score
I have a medium-sized Lionhead/Dutch Miniature cross called Biggi, who is almost fully grown. My rabbits have a big two tier hutch but they live in separate tiers because they're not neutered. Anyway, Biggi doesn't like being carried very much, which makes taking her outside for exercise less pleasant because if I get too involved outside she'll get worried I'm going to pick her up and start scurrying and thumping.

We wanted to let her run around on the living room floor but her nails slip on the timber and she becomes anxious. A blanket doesn't really cover enough area to give her a proper space to exercise.

So the hallway of our apartment is nice clay tiles, she has no problems walking on it and I've brought her out to see if she'll have a frolick there... Nope, she legs it for the welcome mat and stays there freaking out so I have to reassure her! Even when I put a sheet down that covers most of the hallway, she still won't have a run around, just edges warily around.

I'm just trying to find a nice place for her to exercise... I've been so patient every time I've tried something new, waiting for her to adapt to her environment but making sure she's not so scared that she's put off. Her smaller buddy is a lunatic, his name is Banzaii and he'll run on any surface! Any suggestions as to how to relieve some of her nerves?

Biggi's a pet shop bunny so I suspect she'll always be more nervous than Banzaii, who had a family to look after him when he was small, and who was handled all the time from an early age. I just want to make sure Biggi is as happy and healthy as possible, so any insights as to how to encourage healthy exercise without worry is appreciated!

She's just not used to the area, and seems to have a naturally cautious personality. Give her time and gently encourage her to explore the place with yummy bribes. When she's familiarised herself with the place and finds there's nothing to be scared of, she'll be more at ease.

Update: I've started getting down on my hands and knees and hopping along beside her in the ground. She presses her body up against my arm for reassurance and she'll hop with me. My knees and elbows are destroyed but it's a small price to pay for a happy bunny!

Latest posts

Back