Why do you breed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazedAConfused

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed quite a few people on here breed their rabbits..

I was interested in why what are the resons you breed, and what do you consider the wrong reasons for breeding is..

I am not trying to start arguements, We do have many bunnies inshelters and unjust places at the moment, I am just lookinginto everyones point of veiw onwhy they do/wouldbreed and what they think is the wrong/right reasons for it knowingthat there are already so many unwanted buns, and if they feel thatthey are taking away homes from the buns already in need of homes..

Please do not argue, as everyone has their own point of veiws, and there is a way to dispute the opinion in the correct manner..
:D:D

I am breeding my holland lop because both themale and the female carry the genes for a chichilla colored baby and wewant to show the babies. We are probably going to get the male andfemale fixed after this litter, we'll see. We have adults withoutchildren or pets already in line waiting to adopt. We did interviewsbefore the babies were even 2 weeks along. I hope she has ... any!

I feel like people breed rabbits for the samereason people breed dogs. Some people prefer a purebred. They know whatthey're going to look like, they know a fairly standard temprament (Iknow you can never really guess this, but it is a selling point forbreeders), and there is a possibility to show. But then there arepeople who like the "mutts" too. I myself don't breed because rabbitsare just a pet for me. I don't have the time, money, or patience toproperly breed bunnies, or any other animal, so I'll stick with my twopet buns, both of which are sterilized. I don't think it's wrong tobreed rabbits, just like I don't think it's wrong to breed dogs. Butbreeding rabbits just to see if you can, or breeding mixed breeds whichare harder to place, is something I don't see a real point in. Anddoing all we can to prevent accidental breedings is something thatshould be as common in rabbits as it is in dogs and cats. People don'tthink a rabbit is the kind of pet you have to sterilize if you're notplanning on breeding. Anyway, I could rant about that, but those are myvery uneducated and novice ideas on breeding rabbits.

In my opinion i think its wrong. I dont agreewith it. Your making them go through pain just to have more bunnies. Ifthey wanted to have their own babies i think they would do that. Butbreeding is just forcing them to no matter what they are feeling.

Bunnylover,

I respect your opinion about not agreeing with rabbit breeding, but youcan't force a rabbit to breed. It's instinctual. In the wild we haverabbits because in the natural course of events, rabbits will breed.With breeding domestic rabbits owners are practicing selective mating.They choose the mate and the timing, but if the rabbits don't want tomate no one is going to make them. We're not talking about artificialinsemination here (at least I don't think so). A rabbit's naturalinstinct is to procreate in order to spread its genes on to the nextgeneration. That's why all animals, including humans, have an urge tomate. It's just in our genetics to want to breed.

My brother breeds his rabbits, and has no problemfindind homes for them. All of the owners were friends of ours. We seethe bunnies all the time. I don't think there is anything wrong withbreeding them...But, some people use them forONLY breeding. Ithink thats wrong.

I breed because they are my show string for theyear.I think the amount of rabbits in shelters is not as many as youhear about, we have no rabbits in our local shelter.You cant show mixedbreeds in ARBA shows.Mostly all of my bunnies i dont keep go to othersthat show.Im trying to improve the colors i raise.I also ocaisonalllytake in other peoples unwanted bunnies and find them new homes.I thinkthe animal rights people exsaggerate the amount of unwanted rabbits tohelp their own agenda.bluebird

Reasons i consider wrong to breed,Because youwanted your kids to see a birth,you rarely see them born and sometimesthe mothers chew them up or they are born dead not a pretty sight.Youthink you are going to make a lot of money,most people that show losemoney on their rabbits,vet bills,show feed,cages equipment,entryfees,Show rabbits arent cheap some people pay several hundred dollarseach for show stock.Gas to shows ouch.I babysat to pay someexpenses.bluebird

I also breed Hollandlops...the reason we breed them is to better the breed. We would onlybreed a rabbit to make the perfect look and better temperament. And Ipersonally don't think that it is the breeders fault, at least not mostof it, that people give their bunnies away. The people who buy from abreeder need to be responsible...it isn't the breeder who decides ifthe person will turn out to be a responsible owner. If the people weremore responsible we wouldn't have so many bunnies in the shelters. I dothink that breeders can be responsible too, by having the buyers sign acontract stating that they can return the bunny at any time if they arenot able to care for it any more. When people give me their bunny backI am always able to find the bunny a new home.

bunnylover134 wrote:
In my opinion i think its wrong. I dont agree with it. Yourmaking them go through pain just to have more bunnies. If they wantedto have their own babies i think they would do that. But breeding isjust forcing them to no matter what they are feeling.

Some points to ponder . . .

Are you aware that a doe in the wild will breed again immediately aftergiving birth? We never breed our rabbits right after theyhave given birth to a litter.

Are you aware thatyou cannot"force" a doe to breed. If they don't "feel" like it -- they won't.

Are you aware that humans reproduce and also go through the pain ofhaving babies? (the story about the stork is just a fairy tale -- Ihave 4 kids, and the stork didn't bring them).

Arethe breeders taking the rabbits to the shelters orirresponsible pet owners? Shouldn't the people abandoningtheir pets be held accountable?

Do all breeders act responsibly in the care and management of theirrabbits? -- No. Do all pet owners act responsibly in the careand management of their pet? -- No.

The primary problem appears to be purchasing a pet on impulse, andlacking the long term commitment to care for it. This is alack of responsibility on the *owners* part -- not thebreeders. However, I also don't believe that people should bebreeding animals just to experience the "miracle" of life and the joyof seeing kits. These are the rabbits that are most oftenpassed out to the neighbors and end up in shelters (note the many mixedbreed rabbits in shelters), as well as the easter bunnies purchased onimpulse and the bunnies purchased on impulse from youth at fairs.

There's no magic solution for the problem of pet abandonment, buteducating people on the responsibility of pet ownership and thecommitment required is a good start in curbing impulse purchasing.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Are you aware that humans reproduce and also go through the pain ofhaving babies? (the story about the stork is just a fairy tale -- Ihave 4 kids, and the stork didn't bring them).
LMBO!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh this morning pam!

*I am only laughing with pam, as I too havechildrenand not commenting on the post cause I don't breed :)*

Bo B Bunny wrote:
pamnock wrote:
LMBO!!!!!! Thanks for the laugh this morning pam!

*I am only laughing with pam, as I too havechildrenand not commenting on the post cause I don't breed :)*

If only the stork did bring kids i might have had more than two!!!

Cristy

:)Me I think if you have a female youshould litter her at least once it is not fair on her not to be a mum,in the wild she would have dozens of litters because that what theywould do, but in the home you can pick if you want to me always havelet my females have a litter expect one and she is so morthly it ishard to see when she has not had a litter and she looks sad my cat, soif i can keep them i will let her have a litter.

Ok, the stork thing cracks me up considering I'min a relationship where we are planning on getting married and reallywant kids and I am TERRIFIED of the pain and needles!!!

As for breeding, I only have 1 rabbit I'm going to breed. Ithink that people should breed rabbits for the same reason they breedany animals: for the love of the breed. It isn't about makingmoney or any of the other bad reasons mentioned here, but for theperpetuation and improvement of the breed. I'm going to breedher for showing. Any of her kits that aren't show qualitywill go to people I already have waiting for them (the list is longerthen the amount of kits she is likely to have LOL). My nieceis going to get into showing, so she can start from theselitters. Basil won't have more then2 or3litters and then I'll have her spayed and most likely thebuck I get for her neutered. 3 of my other bunnies are purebreeds, but aren't show quality so I won't be breeding them and myother is a mix so he will not be breeding either.

Jen

Angel and Sugar wrote:
:) Me I think if you have a female you should litter her atleast once it is not fair on her not to be a mum, in the wild she wouldhave dozens of litters because that what they would do, but in the homeyou can pick if you want to me always have let my females have a litterexpect one and she is so morthly it is hard to see when she has not hada litter and she looks sad my cat, so if i can keep them i will let herhave a litter.

Okay, I have to comment on this, because this is a huge myth! :XIt's also the reason why my shelter and many others see so manymixed-breed (and even purebred!) litters of puppies and kittens thatthe owners "just can't seem to find homes for" :X :X

I have no problem with responsible breeding, and with seeking toimprove the breed (whether it's rabbits, cats, dogs, etc.) But to saythat a female needs to have a litter is a gross overstatement!I'll just use cats as an example (because many people often do lettheir cats have litters willy-nilly, or at least once to experience the"miracle of life"):

- When a cat goes into heat, it is painful. Extremely painful. Not toput too fine a point on it, but if you knew about cat anatomy, you'dknow that mating is just as painful.

- Pregnancy certainly isn't a walk in the park: I rescued a youngpregnant cat, and towards the end of the gestation you could tell shewanted those babies out!

- Then there's raising the kittens, which is exhausting for both catand owner. I'm not saying that female cats or rabbits have a miserabletime raising litters, but they're acting on hormones, they don't haveall these emotions tied into it like humans do.

And for what reason would you put your pet (be it cat, dog, or rabbit)through this? It's not to improve the breed. It's not to create healthyand well-tempered babies. It's to experience the "joy" of raising alitter? :? I'm sorry, but that's bunk.

*sigh* I apologize, I may be a little too close to this subject to tryand make polite comments. I just wish people would stop thinking thisway...

cirrustwi wrote:
Ok, the stork thing cracks me up considering I'm in arelationship where we are planning on getting married and really wantkids and I am TERRIFIED of the pain and needles!!!
I am too cirrustwi, you'll get past it and be fine. Infact, Iam sorta not so afraid now, it's more the "I don't like pain" thing andthat's all.

As far as baby bunnies. All I can say is that I am so happy that the breeder I got Bo from is a breeder :)

I was an impulse buyer with Bo, however, I knew I was beingimpulsive. I know that if I get an animal it's mine and I amgoing to care for it, etc., for the rest of its life unless somethingtragic happens that prevents me from it. (Not that I wouldn't with Bo,I'm just sayin..... ) .. I know a lot of people aren't "dedicated?" toanimals that way.

I have my own opinion on what is responsible breeding and whatisn't. Most everyone here seems very caring and responsibleto me at least. :)

Will only let her have a litter if I can keepthem if I can't keep them she will not have any rabbits, agree withwhat you say have recused all my pets from the dogs home and cats homemy rabbits got bought as they looked very unhappy in a pet shop so wegot the 2 girls and 1 boy. Will never give any away people are to crueland nasty to animals be rabbits or anything else, kids that grow upwith pets have a better understanding of animals andteachthere kids to be respectful to there animals.

I didnt intentionally breedany of the rabbits ihave and i have 14hubby has a decent job andwe can afford to do t he rescueand vetting from most ofhis pay check Allthese bunnys i have with theexception of my Bun Bun camefrom a closed downrabbit mill all the femaleswere pregnant when i got them , somelitters were stillborn mostwere born live thankfully andwith proper neutrition andvetting the Moms for the mostpart birthed healthy happy litters .

M.E. i agree there are many rabbits inshelters and many in fosterhomes and many in rescues suchas i run , But ! i wouldnever concider letting a Babyout of my garageunless i had a written agreementthat A. if they are not able tocare for the babyor adult it will comeback to me to be replaced intoanother home. B. to putit bluntly i am awitch when it comesto adoptions if i get a feeling aboutsomeone or something irefuse to let an animal go outthe door.

Granted i will give the fact that alotof the animals in shelters arestrays andirrisponsable owners but lets be fairhere a good lot ofthem have had to begivin up because an owner hasgotten ill or afinacial devistation has takenplace it happens .Not every animal inthe shelter has beenabused or was notwanted lets be fairabout it all .

Latest posts

Back