Why a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I first had my own fish, with one feeder goldfish who lived to a ripe 6 years after we got him, then I got my own cat for my birthday (a grey tabby named Samantha) who ran away while I was at summer camp and probably got eaten by a coyote :(that was when I was 9 or 10 and so I started looking at other pets, indoor ones so that they wouldn't get eaten. First I asked for a ferret, but then did some more reasearch and decided that I didn't really want one (my parents also refused to have one in the house) and so I started looking at other animals. Lo and Behold there are bunnies! :pI first asked for a rabbit when I was maybe 12 and I kept asking and asking, but I never got one. Then my Dad moved us all to Alaska from Oregon, where I had a boyfriend (now ex) so my Dad felt awful about moving me. So I milked it for all it was worth and asked for a bunny to keep me company ;)and look! I have a bunny now! And am working on getting another one!

I'll take a picture of ours after moving, so ya'll can see how insane I am, too, hehe!! Heck, I've already got five HERE, in this unbelievably tiny apartment...I ALREADY look insane!!

My name is Rosie...and I'm THOROUGHLY addicted to bunnies...:biggrin2:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Have you met wabbitdad? or Gabby? or BlueGiants? ;)

Chris came home one day from work and asked if we could get a "Really Cute White Bunny" I cannot say on here what my actual response was, but it kinda went like this "What the heck are we going to do with a Bunny?" Well he kept bugging actually pleading with me but I kept saying NO. We went up to Timmins for my Dad's funeral about 5 weeks after he started to ask, well he mentioned it in front of my one sister and she said why not? so I gave in.

About a week later he brought Buttercup home to me. He was so small he fit into Chris hand. I fell in LOVE immediately. We thought we did alot of research on Bunnies before we got him, but boy is their alot to learn. He was the cutest little Bunny I ever saw. Oh yeah we were told he was a she by the person who gave him to us and also a Vet a few weeks later. When we brought him to our Vet he broke the news to us that she was actually a he.

We waited 5 years before we got Wilbur & Jackie. My girl friend told me about these really cute bunnies at a pet store. We went that night and bought them ( I told Chris we needed to get 2). We were told they were both boys. Well Jack became Jackie.

Two years after that the same friend told me about this really cute Lionhead Bunny at a Pet store 2 minutes away from where we live ( she was in this glass cage). Chris & I went to look to look at her, he said we should think about it. I went back to see her for 2 days then called Chris at work and told him I really wanted her. I bought Daisy Mae that day.

You all know the story of Winston & Vega they arrived in September.

Who would have thought that 9 years ago I would totally fall inLove with Bunnies. I know I will never be without them.

Susan:apollo:

My friend had two bunnies, so I wanted one. I asked for one and my Mom said no because she is terrified of rodents :)rollseyes). After a few days I proved her wrong, that they weren't rodents at all.

So they said I could get one!

Funny thing is, my Mom is now OBSESSED with the bunnies, and loves them as much as I do.

Also, my friend doesn't take good care of her bunny at all (one died from headtilt, they wouldn't take it to the vet =/)

SO its a miracle I didnt take after her!!

:biggrin2:

I haven't told this story in a long time and I get teary eyed thinking about it. Some of you may have heard it before, but here goes.

Like many others I did not set out to own a bun. I grew up with animals, always have had a soft spot for all living creatures. When I was a kid, I could walk up and pet the wild lizards that lived in our yard. My dad used to call me Dr. Doolittle. Lol. Anyway skip ahead to 2006...

My fiance and I, along with his daughter living in a 2 bedroom apartment with a dog, 3 cats, and bird. (Like I said soft heart for animals!) Did I mention we had to sign an agreement saying we wouldn't get anymore pets after the 3rd cat claimed us? Well we did.

So my neighbor had a GIANT snake and he fed it rats. One rat bit the snake and gave it some snake disease or something and it got sick. So needless to say they did not want to attempt to feed anymore rats to "Bullet."

KIF_0772.jpg

I hate to say it, and you have to promise not to hurt me but I planted the idea in his head that I think they sell feeder bunnies. Next day his sister in law goes to the pet store and asks for a bunny. This small family owned store does not sell feeder rabbits but they have ONE who is not PERFECT and therefor dubbed as not good enough for a pet. They sold him for half price, $10. She brings the bunny home and promptly puts it in the snakes cage. (I know nothing of this at the time.) Two or three days later my neighbor asks me over the back fence if he can borrow my hammer. The last time he asked me that question he used it to kill the rat. I said "WHY????" and he explained to me that the snake must still be sick because he didn't eat the bunny over the fence popped the cutest little thing I had ever seen in my life. I suggested he try to rehome it, and that fell on deaf ears sooooo over the fence he came and Robert and I agreed to keep him until we could find him a home. Neither of us having any rabbit experiance. We built a makeshift cage in the backyard and I ran out and bought pet store bunny food and stuff...

05-23-06_1405.jpg

Photo0398111.jpg
(The begining)

Shortly there after while researching online I came accross RO. The cute little furball affectionately known as "Tender Juicy Floppy Leg" after the San Diego Zoo commercial graduated to an off the ground outdoor hutch.

KIF_0766.jpg

KIF_0770.jpg

Then winter came and I moved him into the house and built my first NIC condo, promising hubby he would go back outside after the weather warmed up. A year and a half later and he never made it back outside. :D

KIF_0912.jpg

He grew up thinking he was just another cat, and that no longer so little Mini Rex has no idea that he was labeled as anything but perfect. He is the most loving animal and I don't know what I would do without him. We recently adopted Ruby for him as a playmate when I went back to work.

sillybun.jpg

KIF_1241.jpg

Sorry it's long and a tear jerker!

I have always just loved rabbits. I had many rabbits when was a kid- Rabby, Jerome, Victor, Sloppy Joe, Abbie, Benjamin, and the list goes on. Usually, I got them for free at flea markets or from people who had them as pets and didn't want them anymore.
I took a break from rabbits for almost 20 years while I went through college, worked, and then seven years of graduate school. I couldn't have them b/c I lived by myself mostly, and criss-crossed the country for various jobs/educational opportunities, and still usually travel about once a month for work. But, I got married recently, and my husband agreed to look after them when I travel. So, I am happily back to having buns around the house.

I don't really know why I have always liked rabbits so much, I just do. They make me smile.

Awww he has a leg like Cloverbunny!!!

I can't believe that he was going to be snake food! :X

I love his backflop photo! :hearts:

I think I was around 13 when I got my first rabbit, a little grey(blue? not even sure any more) Dutch who I called Brandy. She was an impulse purchase; a local pet store had aquired some tiny bunnies - probably no more than 5 or 6 weeks old - and were selling them for next to nothing. I went home and asked my dad if I could get a rabbit, and - here's where the story gets fuzzy - I swear I heard him say he didn't care. However...the next evening when he came home from work, and I had my new little bunny safely tucked away in my room, my sister (who swore she heard our dad say 'No *:nonono:* way are you bringing another animal into this house' when I'd initially asked) blurted out that I was 'hiding' a rabbit in my room. I was promptly ordered to get rid of it immediately...but of course I didn't. For the next several days I avoided my dad at all costs, and would spend hours in my room with Brandy, cuddling her and praying that I wouldn't have to give her up. Well, my scheme worked, as my dad finally gave up telling me *it* had to go. Unfortunately, Brandy wasn't with me for very long...she died just a month or so later, and the vet offered to do a free necropsy. He discovered she'd been riddled with internal parasites, which wasn't surprising, given the reputation of that particular pet store - most of their animals came from 'puppy mills' and backyard breeders. Needless to say, my heart was broken.

Several months later I did get another rabbit...his name was Billy (Billy Jack Rabbit). I gave him that name as he looked much more like a wild rabbit than he did a domestic one...his body had that lean, lanky appearance similar to a Belgian hare. He was a wonderful fellow, full of spit and vinegar and always getting into trouble (it's a wonder our house never burned down, or he was never electrocuted, given all the wires he managed to chew through). I had Billy for a couple of years, until he passed on...I never did find out what happened to him, but most likely it was something akin to stasis. Back then, no one - even the vets in the area - knew very much about rabbits. Only seasoned rabbit breeders had any real 'rabbit savvy', and it wasn't until a few years later I was to even meet any of them.

After Billy came Thumper. Honestly, I can't even recall now where she came from; probably a pet store somewhere. She looked much like Anna, only quite a bit larger...Thumper was probably a good 10-12 lbs in her prime. She was very special to me, and until Raph came along many, many years later, she was one of the most precious of my rabbits. She lived in my bedroom but explored the house, running up and down the stairs of her own free will. She slept with me in my bed at night, starting out every evening beside me under the covers, then - sometime after I'd drifted off - making her way to my pillow, where she would stretch out to her full length and remain until it was time to get up. More often than not I would be greeted in the mornings with a few bunny toes dangling in my face.

Thumper moved to an outdoor cage a few years later. She had been out there for a year or so when one day...I was 21 by then, I think...she disappeared. Someone had entered the backyard and had stolen Thumper from her cage. I was so distraught, sick to my stomach over the thoughts of what someone might have done to her, and I searched everywhere for her. I called the vets, went door to door, scoured every field and under every shrub...but she was gone.

A week passed and I finally decided to try one last thing. I called the local radio station (a huge effort for me to do, I was so shy!) and asked them to announce that a rabbit was missing. So the radio DJ did (trying his best not to laugh whilst announcing it...after all, who kept a rabbit as a pet?), and to my surprise, someone contacted them and gave them his number. So I called the number and the man at the other end told me he had spotted some kids toting a large brown rabbit around his neighbourhood for the past few days, and he'd been suspicious of them - apparently they didn't have the best reputation. He gave me their address, and as soon as my boyfriend got off work, we went to check it out. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but still remember my heart was pounding as we knocked on the door...and when it opened, there she was...my Thumper, sitting in the middle of their living room. She came running over to the door right away, I scooped her up and no one said a word, and we took her home.

Thumper lived on for another couple of years until she finally succumbed to cancer when she was almost 8 years old. I believe she waited for me before she died, as I'd been at work...I knew she'd been sick, but didn't know just how close to death she was. When I got home something told me to go to her right away, and so I did...and when I opened her cage door she was lying on her side. She looked up at me with her soft brown eyes, I cradled her head in my hands, and a moment later she just faded away. And once again, only even moreso this time, my heart was broken.

I also began raising rabbits while I still had Thumper. At first I had a few Hollands, or I would take in a rescue or two, but then I was introduced to the Polish by a senior rabbit breeder. I fell in love with the breed, and I began showing them - on a very small scale - for the next few years. Life intervened however, when I got divorced and became a single mom, and it would be a great many years before I would ever have a rabbit in my life again.

I have always loved animals. Probably part of the reason was because my mother loved cats, and she seemed to have that certain 'way' with them...as though she could talk to them and they would know what she was saying, and vice versa. But I think the main reason why animals in general have been such a huge part in my life is because I grew up in an abusive home, and also grew up with a lot of pain...emotional pain from abuse, from losing my mom when I was 10, from being so horribly shy that I barely was able to make friends...but also some form of physical pain was always plaguing me as well. Animals were my retreat into a much safer, gentler world. And when I discovered Brandy that day in the pet store, she introduced me to something even more special. I do love all animals, and have particular affection towards dogs and horses...but there's something about rabbits that are different. It's as though they are the silent watchers, the ones who can communicate to you without having to wag a tail or resound a hale purr. They speak to us with their eyes, and every one of them represents generations upon generations of gentle spirits who have been hunted, chased, terrorized, their only defense often in running and hiding. They empathize with us...I find especially so with those who have been hurt in life, or have had difficulties...yet they also represent indomitable, incredibly stoic and hardy souls who show us just how to never give up, how to survive and continue on. On a spiritual level, I truly do believe that the rabbit is so much more than a cute, loving creature...there really is something magickal about them....a wonderous gift from God.

Take the best parts of a cat, the best part of a dog - add some binkies, nudges (and poops on the sofa;)) and you have a rabbit!:p

Bunnies are just brilliant!:bunnydance:Enough said.:biggrin2:

For me, Bunny was a rescue case. His previous owner was a friend of my sister's, and my sister mentioned that she could no longer keep her rabbit due to her son's allergy, and she asked if I wanted a rabbit.

I couldn't turn down an animal in need, and I'm really glad I didn't. The conditions he was living in were far from good - I'm surprised he was in such good health when he came to us. He'd been living in a mesh-topped hutch outside in the winter. When we cleaned his hutch at first it was full of little slugs, dead flies, and encrusted with filth. Lukily Bunny only had a bit of a cold, which cleared up quickly.

I'd never change my mind if I had to go back and do it over - Bunny took hold of my heart and hasn't let go. It's been about a year since we got him, but it feels like I've known him forever.

Bunny of course lead to more rabbits, and now we have five. I love the way they give back twice what you put in. They're (almost ;)) always happy to see you, and they all have such strong personalities. I can come home from a really bad day and they'll make me smile. They teach you something new every day. Just when you think you understand them, they'll show you a new side to themselves.

Bunny love is grand.

I never intended to get any pet - I'd had the usual run of fish and turtles and the odd hamster or mouse or two when I was a kid, and we had a dog while I was in high school, but I'd never felt I had the time for one as an adult. Then, four and a half years ago, my son Joe and his then-girlfriend walked in one evening and dropped a little grey bunny on my lap. He had the softest fur, and he immediately crawled up my chest and pushed his head under my chin. Joe announced his name was "Scone", because he should have a Scottish name and "Haggis" was reserved for the sheep he'd like someday (didn't make any sense to me, either). Here he is, the day he came to live with us:
scone3849.jpg

I told Joe it was OK to have a rabbit, but it was up to him to care for it. Over the next few months, though, Scone started to work his magic on me. He'd come over to greet me in his little cage, and I'd stop to pet him and say "hello", and then I started to research rabbits and what they needed and everything else I could learn about bunny behavior and diet (compulsive research being an occupational hazard for a patent attorney). I began to take Scone out of his cage every evening, and his personality immediately struck me - loving, energetic and mischevious, and above all very intelligent. I got active on the Lagomorph Lounge, and met other bunny people, and discovered that Scone was a perfect subject for my photography habit. Well, to make a long story only a little longer, very soon Scone decided I was his human and I decided I was a bunny Dad. Four and a half years later, Joe's in the Army, and Scone and I share the house...
scone07-1420.jpg

Back