White fur and the sun...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry

Reaction score
A question stemming from the shadeds I have.

I know, and have seen, that siamese sables will bleach themselves orange if they're in the sun too long.

This morning (I'm never out with the rabbits before noon), I did a check at 10 am or so, 'cause I was awake early. I found out that one out of 8 holes was about 1/4 of the way into the sun. The other 3/4 was shade. But the little rew boy seems to love sitting in the warmth...

I'd be hard to believe that the sun could change the white fur into another color, but I might as well ask here... Is it okay for him to do that? I'm happy my sables and sable points are on the other side... I'd had to have a herd of orange bunnies. XD

Is there anything else I should worry about? Sun burns (I know my PEW rats could get them), or just general other things?

Thankies.

The only concerns would be that rabbits shouldn't be left in full sun and REWs can be senisitive to light due to lack of pigment in their eyes.

The sun generally doesn't effect a white coat.

Lishka wrote:
Why does it seem that shadeds who are NEVER in the sun will bleach out as well??
Old, dead coats are one cause of blotchy color on shaded coats.

I have been told that white coats can turn yellowish if sun damaged. He probably likes sitting in the sun as more of the heat reflects off his coat?

Latest posts

Back