Which trees are safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
I know that apple trees are safe to feed branches and twigs from. Also willows are safe.

How about pear trees?

Its really hard to find a straight answer on this. Some sites say yes they're safe and some say no.
I know that pitted fruit trees(peach, plum, nectarine) aren't safe when they're fresh because of arsenic or some other harmful poison, but they're safe when they're DRIED for a month or more.
Does anyone know anything about that?

I don't have any apple trees anymore, and no willow trees. But I do have pear trees and a peach tree. (Not that I'll feed peach branches) But if I can feed pear tree twigs and leaves and what-not then I would love to do that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Was told pear is okay but any stone fruits (peaches, apricots, nectarines, etc) have traces of poison (cyanide) and aren't good for bunnies. Best to ask your rabbit savvy vet though.

I've read dried pine is ok. Most of the rabbit toys made with wood blocks are pine. I just bought a 1x2 at home depot, chopped it into a bunch of different sized blocks, drilled holes through them, and strung them on a piece of chain. The buns love them, chew on them all the time. If you don't want to do anything fancy, you could just give her a short length of a pine board to chew on. Hard pine cones(not the soft ones) that are dried out, are also a great chew toy. My buns like to toss them around. Unfortunately they also end up tossing them in the water dish :)

My guys get pine, willow, alder, birch, apple, pear and hazel branches and twigs. My vet considers them safe and I've yet to have any adverse reactions. :)

Latest posts

Back