Where oh where has my sweet bunny gone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZipperNipper

Reaction score
Juliann is nearing nine years old, is fixed and has been a friendly, bumblebun all her life. Before, she would abandon me for head-pets from anyone and made a point to visit and say hello to each individual in a group of humans. She was a real social butterfly, but recently...

It started about eight months ago when I moved away from my parent's house for the first time. I moved in with a roomie who had a dog and two cats. Juliann never liked it there and began thumping and growling often. I figured that she didn't like hearing or smelling the predators lurking outside our door, which always stayed closed, but I couldn't do much about it. I thought she'd get over it. I might add that I wasn't happy there either so she could probably sense my high stress level, especially towards the end.

Now I'm in a different apartment with a new roomie and no other pets. I'm happy, Juliann is happy, the apartment is quiet and she has run of the place. The only hiccup is that she's never recovered from the previous living situation. She still charges and growls at people that she knows, like my mother, and refuses to get to know the new, awesome, roomie. I can't grab her hiney like I used to either; she whips around and acts aggressive. Before she would just ignore me. I'm not worried about bunny bites/nips/grabs, but my roomie is too scared to touch her and I need her to bunnysit sometimes.

Juliann still binkies, eats, drinks, cecals, pees and poops normally, enjoys snuggles and pets from me--she seems fine except that she's a crab with other people. I'm thinking seriously about taking her to the vet to see if she has arthritis, blindness or gosh-knows-what but I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas first.

Also, back at my parent's house, Juliann became frienemies with my mother's rabbit. They weren't allowed to interact but could always see, smell and hear each other. Is it possible that Juliann misses her mortal enemy?

How long have you been in your new apartment? Being an older animal, even though she's happier, it still might take her longer to adjust behaviourally, especially if you were at your last place for quite some time, the behaviour may have become quite habitual for her. If you've been at your new place a fair while, I suppose it could be that she's developing pains and things perhaps like arthritis etc.

When we moved, some of our buns acted out and changed and others just fell into "their" routine like nothing happened. Just depends I guess on the bunny. Hopefully she'll adjust.

@Azerane: I've been at the current apartment since the end of December and I was at the first place since the September before. So the next question is, what scarred her? The isolation from another bun or the shift to the new and unhealthy environment? Guess I'll keep love'n on her and hope for the best! Gosh, such hard work... ;) Think I'll also look up the warning signs of arthritis.

@Nancy McClelland: Did you notice if the behavioral changes were linked to the age of the rabbit?

Thanks guys! ^^

It may just be that she needs more time to adjust and calm down but I would watch very closely for any other changes in case it has something to do with her health.

Of course, if money is not an issue then I would think a check up couldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back