Where do you buy your food?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunyBun

Reaction score
We're newbies to bunnydom . . . we should have our adopted bunnies home with us next week!

I wondered -

WHERE do you you buy your rabbit food?

Locally (Petstore, Feed Store, Grocery)? Or Online?

I was thinking that I would probably buy pellets locally but maybe my hay online?

BunyBun

from a local pet store i get bedding, pellets,hay, treats, toys and even one of my hutches came from there but onlythe really small one i have as they only stock quite small onesalthough some come slightly bigger than mine!

Harper eats Kaytee Timothy Complete pelletswhich I get from Petsmart. He eats the Kaytee timothy hay, brome hay,orchard grass, and bermuda grass from Petsmart, and I order his Oat hayfom Oxbowhay.com

:bunnydance:

I buy feed for one rabbit (picky eater, wont switch to a timothy based pellet) from the local feed store.

The local vet clinic orders Oxbow Bunny Basics/T for me since that's the only place I can get it from.

Imake my own treats out of fruit that we dry ourselves.

And I buy my timothy hay from a local farmer because farm hay is soooo much nicer than pet store hay.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I order pellets and hay from Oxbowhay.com

My vet carries it, too, but charges too much. I've cut out the middle man!
Unfortunately Oxbow doesn't ship directly to Canada. I either have toorder from a company in Ontario and get dinged majorly for shippingcosts or order it through my vet which is actually cheaper.

I wish I lived in Nebraska though, I could buy a 50 lb bag for as muchas I'm paying for a 10 lb bag ($30 and I'm lucky if it lasts a month).

Yikes! I'm actually switching the girls to Purina because I can get it locally and it's a good feed.

Toby's tummy is too sensitive, so he'll stay on the Oxbow.

We get ours from the local feed store, too...East Valley Tack & Feed in California.

MUCH lower prices at feed stores (we buy Kaytee TimothyComplete). If you can find one near you, chances are they'llhave wood pellet horse bedding (excellent for litter), and bales ofTimothy hay for much cheaper than anywhere else! Not tomention, the bales last a LONG time! We got ours in May, andare in the last quarter of it now. I give it anothermonth. :)

Hope you find a feed store near you...they're GREAT!! :D

Ani-lover, it's not unheard of for a bad batchto make rabbits sick but I know a lot of people swear by Purina andevery company is bound to have a bad batch once in a while (as long asit's not a regular occurance). I've also heard of Kaytee TimothyComplete making rabbits have soft poos (as was true in my case). Thatbeing said, I have also heard of a few people have issues on Oxbow'sBunny Basics/T pellets andI have not had an issue. Somerabbits react differently to different brands, it doesn't necessarilymake it a bad pellet.

One thing to note, always check the date on a bad of feed and neverfeed it until you have dumped the whole thing out to ensure there is nomould and that it smells fresh. (And yes, I also dump out 50 lb sacksso I know it isn't always easy to do.)

Maherwoman, you've had a bale since May and only gone through 1/4 ofit?! I got hay in August, probably started using the new bale inSeptember and I've already gone through a bale. I guess I can'tcomplain, it's cheap and it's healthy!

Hehe...no no...I have a 1/4 LEFT ofit! Lol!! With Flower's appetite, I'm surprisedthere's ANYTHING left!! Of course, it might literally be morelike 1/8 left...hehe!

My buns have WAY too huge an appetite to only eat a quarter in that amount of time! LOL!!

They eat about two of the below hay rack's worth a day! Wehave to refill them every morning when we wake and before going to bedat night. :)

This is what I use for their hay racks, and when we fill it, it's sofull, you can hardly tell there's anything containing it!Hehe!! (It's about 4.5" wide x 13.5" long x 3in deep...widthand length taken from the top of the hayrack.)

Of course, Maisie uses a bit of her hay to create a little "meadow" forherself on her middle and top levels (I think it makes her feel morelike she's in the outdoors), but she does eat most of it. :)

2ypf3me.jpg

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Maherwoman, you've had a bale since May and only gone through 1/4 ofit?! I got hay in August, probably started using the new bale inSeptember and I've already gone through a bale. I guess I can'tcomplain, it's cheap and it's healthy!

LOL...hehe, it's okay...

Hey, how many buns do you have, and what are their sizes?

I have 3 -- one Holland Lop andtwo7.5(ish)lb mixed breeds. Don't let that decieve you though, my 7.5lbrabbits eat only slightly more than is required for my Holland Lop. Mybunnies are just hay fanatics and the hay I got this year was reallygood and that adds to it.

Ah, I get it. Maisie's just under 5lbs, and I estimate Flower to be about 8lbs. :)

Flower's a MAJOR hay fiend, and Maisie eats quite a bit for her size, lol! :)

Don't you just LOVE the fresh smell of a bale of hay? Gives our place such a nice aroma! :)

I buy my Oxbow pellets from a local petstore. The online price is the same except you have to add inshipping. I've ordered hay from Oxbow.com before and it'sgreat, but I've been buying local farmer hay lately because I've foundsome very good quality stuff for a very cheap price.

I hate to disagree - but I'm going torespectfully disagree with you on this. I know of over 100 lionheadrabbits that have died in the following states during the lastyear....all of which were on Purina:

Washington State
Oregon
Texas
Illinois
Ohio

I know there were others too but those are the ones I can think of.These were show bunnies that breeders had - one breeder lost 15 or 20juniors. Another lost babies - actually - several lost babies. A couplelost nice herd bucks.

I lost a doe, over 30 babies, and a buck and I ALMOST lost my wholeherd but I switched them IMMEDIATELY to another brand of food. The onlything that kept mine alive was the fact that I added calf mana and oatsto their food.

Peg

P.S. I have heard of folks in the New England states andEastern seaboard doing ok with Purina. Oh, and I also know of somethinglike 10 or 20 flemish (a breeder) that were lost to this brand too - Iforget where the state was - somewhere northwest of Texas though...

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Ani-lover, it's notunheard of for a bad batch to make rabbits sick but I know a lot ofpeople swear by Purina and every company is bound to have a bad batchonce in a while

I buy my hay, pellets, mix, and harness fromlocal pet stores. We used to have a really good feed store around here,that sold some really nice hay, but it closed down. So, I buy locally.

Back