When building an NIC condo what is easier

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
Using cable ties or connectors? I have connectors right now but I'm building bigger cages and I wasn't sure which was better.

I just used the connectors for Sakura's cage, but it's not a huge one as she is still a baby and I'm toilet training her.

I found though that you should pretty much get the cage right the first time around, because the connectors hold on pretty strong and wrenching them off again can sometimes break them.

If I was going to start all over again, I'd use both connectors and zip ties, but just connectors is very fast and easy,

when i was trying out both, i found the zip ties are a lot stronger holding. they helped to brace the center of the grids together so they didn't collapse. of course i went a littel crazy putting on about 200+ zip ties on the cage, but at least i know it won't fall!

I use just the zip ties. I find it quite strong and I love the flexiblity of being able to snip a few off and fold up the cage for transport.

Either way works well though. I've put temporary cages together using just the connectors, and they where quite strong.

--Dawn

I prefer using cable ties, I used the connectors when I made one for my guineas and I found them just plain annoying. The cable ties I found held the grids closer together and more secure but it took me awhile to make.

I used both. I like the way the connectors keep everything straight and square. But then the zip ties to make it more stable and secure!

Crystal

I built my first cage using the connectors and found them somewhat difficult to use. I wasted a lot of time fighting with them:). I later tore down that cage and made a bigger one held together by cable ties. I personally found them easier to use.

The cage is slightly less stable, but I reinforced the roof and second level with PVC pipe. Now the cage is like a rock:D.

I used just the zip ties because my set had some poop-tastic connectors and Wash showed a tendancy to munch them into oblivion. The trick is the criss-cross pattern with the zip ties.

Okay all you people who said anything about using connectors are nuts!! Hehe. They made me want to hit my face against the wall....I managed to get a few on.....and then I'd collapse the whole darn thing and have to start over.......and I was screaming profanities....Or I just have anger problems

But uhm yeah, my advice? Use zip ties and save yourself 6 hours of throwing plastic circles at walls and scaring the buns........

Hah. I loved the last response! I was building some different cages today so I could figure out how to have the new one and I swear, the connectors are crap! Half of them came apart (that never happened when I built the last two) and now the whole model cage is falling apart! I have over 200 zip ties so that's the plan!

to tundrakatiebean - what do you mean by criss-cross pattern?

to iluvmybuns - haha, I feel your pain! my experience was similar...

I have a store-bought cage, but I made a playpen from some of the cubes that I already had... the connectors that come with it work OK for a little while but the whole thing collapsed more than once when I tried to leave it set up between playtimes! So, when I get around to it, I plan to rebuild it using ties, wire or something.

bat42072 wrote:
I used both... I tried it once without the connectors and didn't like it ...I can pic my cage and move it with no problems
Ditto! I hate it without connectors! I use both!

I'd rather like to come in here and play the ignorant foreigner thing.

What are zip ties? what are cable ties? and what are the connectors you use?

(sorry for the stupidity).

Zip ties/cable ties

zip_ties.gif

The connectors are plastic pieces that come in the box with the nic panels!

Latest posts

Back