What would you get if you bred...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaleyk98

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can someone tell me the possible outcome if I bred an opal to a blue-tort doe? I read somewhere that you shouldnt breed these two colors together...is this true?? Thanks=)

By the way, I got new bunnies! I Got 5 new ELs yesterday from PA and Im getting another doe in Aug. from Wash. If anyone wants to see them check out www.luckylops.webs.com. I have their pics up on my boys and girls page.

You would 100% get dilutes. Does the opal carry shaded? If not I would expect blue and opals, if so add blue torts into the mix.

Add: depending who they carry chin or chocolate, ect adds more colors but even so I would expect mostly opals and blues. Then again, is one of the opal's parents non-agouti? If not, expect all opals.

I would not cross shaded (blue tort) x agouti (opal). You have a chance of shagoutis. lol

Oh, forgot to actually answer the question too.:pDepending on what they carry, you could expect fawn/creams, opal, blue tort, and blue, most likely.:)

I don't know the answer but congrats on the new ELs!

Thanks =) The parents for the opal are marked down as a broken steel and a broken steel-black (gold tipped) if that helps. One of his great great grandparents was a tort, lol.

The parents of the blue tort are broken blue tort and blue tort.

Flashy wrote:
What's a shagouti? I get its clearly a shaded-agouti cross, but how does that affect markings?

I don't know that it will affect 1st generation coloring. But it messes up the genetics of that generation. From there on, you can get strange, unrecognized colors since you're never totally sure if you're working with a shaded or an agouti. For example, you could end up with ticking on a sable, or something like that (DQ).

As a general rule, shadeds and agoutis shouldn't be crossed. So even if some kits end up normal colored, I would think that most breeders wouldn't want to mess with them. That would be a lot of pet culls.

Latest posts

Back