What type of litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlitzensmyBunny

Reaction score
What is the Best litter for Bunnies? I really want to know if wood chips (pine) are good or bad....Thanks!:)

I keep my bunnies outdoors and I use woodshavingsin one side and straw in the other but I have been told before thatwoodshavings can be bad for the eye.

I think saw dust is very bad for them. I use wood shavings.

Why not try a wood pellet. The sort that goes crumbly when wet.

Siobhan xXx

Hi Blitzensmybunny,

I know people that use pine shavings without incident, and I knowothers that stay away from them because some claim that the pine isn'tgood for the rabbit's respiratory system when mixed with the urine.?You'll find this in some literature, so I just wanted you to be awareof it.? NOTE:? For those that use pine shavings, I didn't say not touse it, I merely pointed out what some have suggested.?

Most definitely the wood you should not use is cedar.? The fumesfrom cedar shavings when mixed with rabbit's urine is toxic to therabbit.? Personally, I use Yesterday's News.??I know that BuckJones'suses Woodpet Animal Bedding for his litter that is a mixture of woodsand pressed into pellet form and it's much cheaper than Yesterday'sNews.?

You just have to be sure that if you don't have a wire bottom cage thatyou stay on top of not leaving any soiled pine shavings in the cage asit can make the rabbits sick.

Best not to use clay-based litter like a cat litter unless the rabbithas a wire-bottom cage and their feet never touches it because it couldcause the rabbit severe health problems if ingested.? I definitelywouldn't?use it in litterboxes as the cat litter can get in between therabbit's 'toes' and if eaten, problems occur.? Also, for those curiousabout cat litter, the dust is harmful to rabbits so pouring it into thedrop pan should be done far away so the rabbit will not get a whiff ofit.

-Carolyn

?

I always used wood stove pellets but Buck told meabout Woodypet which is the same but available all the time. I alsoheard shaving could be bad so I just stay away from them. Also woodstove pellets are cheap. It is amazing how I can feed a 50lb bag ofpellets and get 200+ pounds of stuff from litter boxes. At least I knowtheir systems are working

I know, bunnies do seem to poop ALOT! lol, but does anyone know about critter litter? is it good for them? what is it?

Of all the ones we've tried -- "YesterdaysNews" seemed to be the best for us. It isrecycled newspaper, and absorbs better that wood. My bunniesare house bunnies and the wood shavings seemed to just track all overmy house. Stay clear from anything cumping or clay based asit can cause respiratory problems from the dust, and can block theirintestines. -- Kim

I have always had the best luck with recyclednewspaper litters. I personally prefer good mews oryesterday's news. They seem to have the best odor controlproperties.

I have tried corn cob litter before, and it worked in a pinch, but itdoesn't "clump" as well as the newspaper based ones. (Theydon't really clump, but it seems they are easier to scoop)

Some people even use food pellets for litter. I have heardvarying opinions on this method. If you do this, you need toclean it quite often to keep your bun healthy. (This ruleapplies to all types of litter, but I think especially to this method)

Here's another tip, though a little off topic - The more organiclitters (such as the newspaper, as opposed to clay) make excellentadditions to compost.

I use WOODYPET Professional Animal Bedding atTractor Supply Company and other retail outlets for $4.99 per 30 lbbag. Very user friendly, wood based granules that arebiodegradeable. Their promotional stuff says:

"Woody Pet Professional Animal Bedding consists of Fir, Spruce& Pine. Unlikewood shavings and most otheranimalbeddings up to99% ofthe aromatichydrocarbons which cause and aggravate respiratory and contactallergies are removed. No more hives or coughing makes for happy horsesand other animals.Due to this extreme processingthatWoody Petendures while beingmanufacturedit exits the milling processa sterileproduct. Woody Pet can be spread onpastures or flowergardens. Woody Pet decomposes faster than shavings as all of the tars,oils, & resins have been removed."

Buck

Something I have yet to see anyone here use in alitterbox but I saw it recomended in a bunny book I have here and itmade sense to me is to use food pellets. I buy two different kinds... amore expensive kind that I use just for feeding them that they seem toprefer and a less expensive kind that I can buy in bulk. It soaks uptheir urine quite well (as good as yesterday's news did for my ferretswhen I had them) and it's perfectly safe for them to eat a little,which they are going to do anyhow. Mine are also on a cage with a panbut I just use regular newspaper on that in case they miss the box butnow that Tramp is fixed and they have both settled in they are prettygood about not missing.

Cheryl

Pigeon&Fumper wrote:
Something I have yet to see anyone here use in a litterboxbut I saw it recomended in a bunny book I have here and it made senseto me is to use food pellets. I buy two different kinds... a moreexpensive kind that I use just for feeding them that they seem toprefer and a less expensive kind that I can buy in bulk. It soaks uptheir urine quite well (as good as yesterday's news did for my ferretswhen I had them) and it's perfectly safe for them to eat a little,which they are going to do anyhow. Mine are also on a cage with a panbut I just use regular newspaper on that in case they miss the box butnow that Tramp is fixed and they have both settled in they are prettygood about not missing.

Cheryl
course i could see a problem with bunnies on adiet who love to eat eating all that litter. not to mentionthere goes feeding them a set diet they can much all day long. I thinkwould onloy bee good on those who do not over induldge anyone else?

We use CareFresh bedding...same as litter,although we'll be switching as soon as he is neutered in hopes thathe'll be better at litter training...

It's really great--it's odorless, and it really takes care of bunnydroppings and urination odor. Emmit seems to like it a lot-helikes to push it around, and doesn't mind laying on it (although he'drather lay on the plasitc bottom).

There is a problem with it though...it's costly. $20 for a 50liter bag. For us, because Emmit goes everywhere in his cageright now, we go through a baga week...so it addsup. It will get better once he uses his litter box.

I've talked to other people who havebunnies in my area, andthey love the stuff...of course they don't go through the stuffasfast as we do. We may just be paranoid and becleaning the cage too much. It's hard to tell becausetheCareFreshtakes care of the odor sowell.

Anyway, I get it at Petco, but we'd love toget something thatwas cheaperas long as it took care of the odor as well...anysuggestions?

Of course Gabby... my methods would not work foreveryone. I was merely presenting the possibility for those that thinkit would work for them. I am definitely not an expert but my buns seemto like the food pellet bedding and they don't seem to be overindulgingon either it or their regular food so it works well for us. Also thepellets do quite well at soaking up their urine and keeping the smelldown as well and it is safe if they ingest a little plus when you buyin bulk it is not that expensive.

On a side note, I looked into the woodypet stuff and they don't have asingle dealer anywhere near us here in Utah. Looks like good stuffthough... when I am able to get back into horses I'll definitely belooking into them some more. Thanks for the link Buck!

Cheryl

Anyone using wood pellets for bedding andlitter??!! I have a flat bottom cage... im going camping this weekendand where we go i know they gotta have wood pellets!! I have read itsused for LITTER how bout bedding???!! Im getting my bun fixed in a fewdays ill stick to the carefresh for now but would like to switch overto something a lil cheaper! Im using yesterdays news for litter....care fresh for bedding i wanna combine it all in 1:)

Latest posts

Back