What on earth did I do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
So our bunnies have a nice big cage and its located in our bedroom. For a couple of nights Reddit has been driving us crazy. Shes been zooming up and down her cage(which is three levels). And then she was thumping all night. Whatever she could do to make lots of noise she did it. I know rabbits are more active in the evening but this was from 1-6am. I figured she was just going through a phase so I let it go on a couple nights but I needed to get some sleep as I didn't get any when she does this. So last night I took her xpen and made her a small cage in the guest bathroom just for the night. She had no problem with it and I went in the morning and got her and put her back in her big cage. Almost as soon as she went back in her and Demetri started trying to hump each other. I thought it might just be a hello thing but after about 2 minutes it was clearly a dominance thing. They started going at it like it was the first time they've seen each other. What on earth did I do. It was only one night. What happened?

mine are most active from about midnight to 6 am on a regular basis, so I have their cage/run set up in my living room so that I can close my door and have some peace :p

I assume they're bonded and normally live together? you really can't separate them for even a night (or even a vet trip) if they're bonded without the risk of upsetting their bond. if you move one, you *really* need to move both.

if they don't get back to normal pretty quickly, you may need to go back to the bonding basics and do a little bit of re-bonding.

jap08m wrote:
So our bunnies have a nice big cage and its located in our bedroom. For a couple of nights Reddit has been driving us crazy. Shes been zooming up and down her cage(which is three levels). And then she was thumping all night. Whatever she could do to make lots of noise she did it. I know rabbits are more active in the evening but this was from 1-6am. I figured she was just going through a phase so I let it go on a couple nights but I needed to get some sleep as I didn't get any when she does this. So last night I took her xpen and made her a small cage in the guest bathroom just for the night. She had no problem with it and I went in the morning and got her and put her back in her big cage. Almost as soon as she went back in her and Demetri started trying to hump each other. I thought it might just be a hello thing but after about 2 minutes it was clearly a dominance thing. They started going at it like it was the first time they've seen each other. What on earth did I do. It was only one night. What happened?
Have they been bonded long? Those first few nights that you were being kept awake, could it have been them chasing each other? Or is there some sound she can here in that room (maybe something outside that you haven't noticed) that is causing her to be frightened?

it was more like she was super hyper and just wanted to run around. they even have a 4 grid by 2 grid run attached to their cage that collapses based on when i let them use it. I opened it thinking she might need to run around but she just kept running up and down the levels of the cage. Definitly learned my lesson though. They've only been bonded for a month so if I ever do that again i'll put both of them in there. Do I have to be worried about the change in cage just for a night?

Latest posts

Back