What litter do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bunnies need the oat hay. Oat hay is abrasive, it contains silicates, so it helps keep the rabbits teeth from getting too long...remember rabbits teeth are constantly growing and they need things to chew to grind down their teeth.

Any grass hay will wear down a bunny's teeth. It can be oat grass hay, Bermuda grass hay, orchard grass hay, timothy hay, etc. It is the chewing of hay (or grass) that causes a bunny to move its jaw in a figure 8 motion. It is this motion that grinds down the teeth.

Chewing other things like pellets, wood chews, or sticks does not grind the teeth the way hay chewing does.

We just read online that pine shavings can cause liver failure in a bunny. I am fine using the soft Carefresh bedding for the bottom tray that the rabbit does not come in contact with. BUT, what should i put in the litter box? We had a holland die suddenly last night and we're trying to figure out what went wrong. :(

We just read online that pine shavings can cause liver failure in a bunny. I am fine using the soft Carefresh bedding for the bottom tray that the rabbit does not come in contact with. BUT, what should i put in the litter box? We had a holland die suddenly last night and we're trying to figure out what went wrong. :(

I'm sorry for your loss. In a well ventilated cage I don't think pine shavings would cause death, at least not without any symptoms of illness leading up to it.

You can use carefresh in the litter tray, recycled paper pellets or compressed pine pellets/wood stove pellets (no accelerants)/horse stall bedding.

Latest posts

Back