What kind of veggies to start with and what amounts?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezling

Reaction score
My baby Schnuffel has been with me for almost a month now. He's approximately 3 months old (we were told that at the pet store when we got him but the vet has estimated him to be a bit younger).
I am thinking of slowly introducing veggies so I really want to know what to start with and what amounts. Please don't give me the weight in grams as I'll have no clue - I'd prefer something like the number of leaves for example, or half a leaf, or half or a quarter of a given veggie, etc. (sorry, I just won't be able to weigh the veggies and I'm terrible at approximations).

Thanks in advance! :D

EDIT: His urine often leaves a white residue which would indicate a high calcium content so I am not sure if veggies high in calcium would be a advisable?

The white residue is his body expelling the calcium through his urine, all rabbit pee dries white because of the calcium. But babies can handle a higher amount of calcium than adults and it usually isn't a problem. Vinegar works well to remove the residue. I would say that as long as your bun's pee isn't thick and sludgy them you probably don't have a calcium problem. (but then again, I'm not an expert!)

Anyway, veggies. I like to start with cilantro/corriander, it always seems to be gentle on the stomach and most buns seem to really like it. I would start out with a leaf or two at a time, check his poop to make sure nothing is soft or liquid. If the poop normal then another leaf or two, then work up to a whole sprig. I know it sounds silly. But I did a leaf or two about two times a day with plenty of time in between and no soft poops for me. Now she gets half a bunch at a time.

Another good one to start with it green leaf lettuce or red leaf lettuce or even romaine. Most rabbits really enjoy them. For those I would say a little bigger than your thumb nail to start, once again, check the poop to make sure its solid and normal. If everything this okay, then you can work up to a whole leaf! haha.
Parsley might be a good one, the flat leaf kind of parsley. Feed it like you would the cilantro.

Also when you start feeding new things, look for signs of gas. You bun being unable to get comfortable and changing positions every few minutes, him laying with his stomach pressed to the floor, hunched up, then the tell-tale sign tooth grinding. If he displays any of these things, I would steer clear of what he just ate. Make sure you keep track of the new things your feeding, in case it doesn't agree with him.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/quick-list-rabbit-safe-foods-49434/
The list for rabbit safe greens.

Agree with Morgan,start with small amounts to make sure they have any digestive problems with it. Mine also love basil, dill, sage, tarragon and mint. I usually give a sprig each to begin and then increase the amount. THey also eat carrot tops, celery leaves, watercress, rocket, red and green leaved lettuce. I think you need to start with just a little, a couple of leaves depending on size and then increase if they tolerate well. Mine now have small bowl each in the morning and evening and they love their veggies. I try to give them a good variety each day. They also eat their pellets and lots of hay.

I started with dandelion greens for both my rabbits, who took to it quick. My breeder and vet advised it as a good starter. Since I got two big rabbits I usually go through half a bunch and a quarter each (which is about 8-10 leaves per rabbit). I'm supposed to do it by cup but I end up eye balling it by plate size.

I'm not sure what the best to start with is, but at 3 months, you don't want to be giving much in the way of greens anyway. Agree with their amounts though. With bok choy, I first gave a piece about the size of my thumb, with celery, it was one or two leaves, the same with basil and coriander. You want to keep it quite small as it doesn't matter how long it takes you to build up to a large amount, but it does matter if you give them too much and you upset their tummy.

Latest posts

Back