what killed my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlygirl

Reaction score
My beloved siamese dwarf died earlier thisevening. Benny was 8 years old but he had always beenhealthy. Yesterday afternoon he stopped eating, but stillseemed pleasant enough, hopping around and whatnot. Thismorning he didn't seem well, didn't eat, drink, or move all day.However he's shedding heavily and always kind of mopes when he sheds.At about 6 pm, he seemed like he was having troublebreathing, then he just rolled over and kind of convulsed. Iam totally in shock. I'm just wondering if anyone could helpme figure out what might have happened to him? He had beenshedding heavily for about 3 weeks. I caught him eating hisfur a few times and pulled it out of his mouth, but he was eating& drinking and going to the bathroom so I thought everythingwas OK. I've had siamese dwarves for the past 22 years (sinceI was in preschool!)so I've seen fur balls before and I don'treally think that was it because they usually don't eat for quite awhile and he only went one day without eating.Also, he had been sneezing quite a bit lately, although this rabbit hasalways sneezed kind of frequently since I've had him so I didn't reallythink that was anything to be that concerned about either.Last night I thought he kind of sounded like he was wheezing, like hisnose was making a whistling sound when he was breathing, and when Iwent to put him in his cage before I went to bed I had to actually pickhim up and put him in - he didn't want to hop.Hasanyone had anything similar happen or know of anything that could killa rabbit so fast? Sorry this is such a long post,but I just feel so bad for the poor little guy, I have to know ifthere's anything I could have done for him.

Thanks for your help,

Andrea

First and foremost, I am very sorry for the loss of your rabbit. I know how devastated I would be.

It could have been a blockage due to molting. It doesn't take much forthem to go downhill quickly. Sometimes they don't really show us signsof being ill before the worst happens.

AW! Andrea, I am terribly sorry about the loss of your dear friend. So sad and sudden it seems.

Too bad, my dear. Have you found Rainbow Bridge?

From what you described and the age it probablywas congestive heart failure. Nothing you could do about it,just age and heretity.

Sad to see one go.

Ed

Dear Curlygirl,

Honestly, no one really can give you a solid answer to your question.We can guess, but we don't know. It could've been any number of things:blockage, heart, organ failure, old age...you name it.

:sad:

The Gentleman that I have pictured under my name was known on thisforum as Buck Jones. Unfortunately, he passed away on June 19, 2005. Hewas a very active, valued, and loved member of this rabbit community,and he was The Best Friend I've ever had.

I'm almost certain that his words to you would've been not to beatyourself up with the should've, would've, and could've's. You did thebest you could. We all beat ourselves up; Buck did it more than anyoneI've ever known, but it's not fair because when your time comes, no onecan stop it.

You gave your little one The Best Years of his life. He was happy,comfortable, and most importantly, Loved. You did your job and you didit Well.

I'm sincerely sorry for your pain, and truly happy that Benny had youfor a Mom. You don't know Buck, but he'll lovingly care for Benny untilyou and he reunite.

With Deepest Sympathy,
Prayers and Peace,
-Carolyn

Andrea, I am so very very sorry to hear of theloss of your little Benny after so many years. Sadly I know what youare going through and it is very painful. An option for you might be tosee if there is a rabbit Vet in the area that can have a look at Bennyand to find out the cause of his death. I have 2 rabbit vets where Ilive that able to this if only you lived closer.

Latest posts

Back