What is wrong with my rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, my 1 year old spayed female rabbit is drooling. She also seemed to have a slight trouble eating although she had never really been as obsessed with food as my other greedy rabbit. But we noticed she was a little thinner so we took her to the vets. The vet said she had small spikes on her back teeth and to bring her back to have them filed down. So, we did. However, after a couple of days we noticed the drool again. This drool isn't too much, she never has it all over her face it's just always there where she lies down. I have even seen it come out her mouth so it's definitely not the other rabbit. At first we just thought maybe her teeth are still a little sore so we left her. A few more days later the drool was getting worse and she still had a little trouble eating. We returned to the vet and the vet said it could be an infection as she saw a little bit of puss in her mouth. We had antibiotics to syringe into her every day and had to return in a week. We did that, but the puss still remained so she was pit on the antibiotics for another week. The amount of drool is increasing and the vet still doesn't know what it is. She had gained a bit of weight though since last week as we are soaking her pellets so she is eating them. Any ideas what could be wrong with her?

There are other people on here that have more experience than I do and hopefully they will answer shortly. But when teeth get crooked they often form spurs that create sores that cause infections. Sometimes rabbits also get abscesses in the roots of their teeth.

Did they do an xray? Sometimes they can see abscesses on xrays like in this link: http://www.kongyuensing.com/pic/20120655cheek_abscess_rabbit_7years_toapayohvets.jpg

Which antibiotic was she put on?
If she was put on Baytril and it has been 10 days or longer, and there hasn't been improvement, that could mean the bacteria is resistant and it might be good to discuss switching to a different antibiotic with your vet.

Last edited:
It's quite possible that she needs an x-ray. If there's puss, she has an infection or an abscess on her jaw somewhere. They can be quite difficult to get on top of. But it would certainly be the reason your rabbit lost weight and stopped eating in the first place.

There are other people on here that have more experience than I do and hopefully they will answer shortly. But when teeth get crooked they often form spurs that create sores that cause infections. Sometimes rabbits also get abscesses in the roots of their teeth.

Did they do an xray? Sometimes they can see abscesses on xrays like in this link: http://www.kongyuensing.com/pic/20120655cheek_abscess_rabbit_7years_toapayohvets.jpg

Which antibiotic was she put on?
If she was put on Baytril and it has been 10 days or longer, and there hasn't been improvement, that could mean the bacteria is resistant and it might be good to discuss switching to a different antibiotic with your vet.

The vet said her teeth were very straight but it could be an abscess. She hasn't had an X-ray but her mouth isn't tender when the vet touches it or anything. She is going back on Thursday so we could suggest switching to a different antibiotic. (Yes she was on baytril)

If it turns out to be an abscess from what I've read people seem to always move from Baytril to something stronger like penicillin injections or azithromycin.

Latest posts

Back