What IS this? (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zouave

Reaction score
Poppy goes in for a neuter in less than a week.

If anyone has seen this dark thing and knows what it is from past experience please let me know. No need to speculate as I can do this too. I was wondering. :?

It is only on the outside of the testicle.

2508400300102813037S425x425Q85.jpg

I've seen similar scabbing formed on the outside of testicles that appears to be similar to a callous from the continual rubbing of the testicle on the bottom of the cage. The scabbing can also be due to injury or infection.

Let us know what the vet's opinion is.

Pam

In the cases I've seen, it is avery hard scab-like tissue. Frostbite leading to necrosiscan also be a possibility.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
In the cases I've seen, it is avery hard scab-like tissue. Frostbite leading to necrosiscan also be a possibility.

Pam

I agree with the frostbite idea. It's way too big to be scent gland stuff, but could also be a lump of poo matted in the fur. I hope the vet knows what it is and if it's ok to take out the testicle. Yikes!

Here is the latest deal.

The vet at NYC's Animal Care and Control rejected the bunny for a neuter "due to tumors". (?)

There is no wire cage, of course, and there was no frostbite. I do know something of the rabbit's history before I got him.

I am contacting another vet, a private vet, and referring her to this thread.

More as I know it. Thanks to all of you for your ideas. I had a terribly fatiguing day yesterday when I had hoped to get Poppy neutered.

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good. They didn't tell you anything else about it, just that they thought it was a tumor? It could be a melanoma perhaps, or maybe a large tumor. I hope the private vet can give you more information on what it is. I'm sorry the neuter didn't happen. Good luck!

All I got at the NYC Animal Care and Control when I went back after a long long day was a form that said what I told you. The receptionist knew nothing else.

No, it is not the best of service.

I have asked a private vet to look at the photo. But I am struck by the fact that so many experienced rabbit people here have NOT said it is a tumor.

(?)

We shall see.

It was a VERY tiring day for me. And frustrating.

He's such a cutie. I honestly don't know what it is, but the color makes me think it's not a tumor. Dark brown or black skin looks like dead tissue to me. I guess it could also be melanoma, which I assume might show up with a dark color. My best guess from the photo is there was some damage to the testicle (perhaps it was tied off with string or a rubber band--this is a common way to neuter some livestock, so maybe someone thought they could do it to him, also done to dock tails and ears in dogs) and the organ lost blood flow for a period of time. This caused the tissue there to die and become necrotic. Necrotic tissue is brown or black, but can also lead to infection very quickly. I am surprised the vet at AC&C didn't give you any more help or information, as it appears he may need more than just a simple neuter. I hope the private practice vet can get you some answers. He's too cute and doesn't deserve this! Also, you don't deserve to get told your bunny has a tumor without any real explanation of why they think it's a tumor and what to do for him. Good luck!

It is possible that it's due to a tumor and the necrotic tissue will appear dark. I agree that this condition can certainly lead to infection. The vets really should have followed up and given you more information on what you need to do.

I don't believe it's due to a botched home-neuter.

Pam

>> I am surprised the vet at AC&C didn't give you any more help or information, as it appears he may need more than just a simple neuter. I hope the private practice vet can get you some answers. He's too cute and doesn't deserve this! Also, you don't deserve to get told your bunny has a tumor without any real explanation of why they think it's a tumor and what to do for him. <<

I know. I will gently complain.

I await word from the other vet.

Yesterday was a long tiring day. :(

Without yet seeing the photo, a vet has speculated on rabbit syphilis. (?) Anyone ever deal with THAT??

It is extremely unlikely this rabbit has been in close proximity to another rabbit in years, or so I am told. But perhaps that is not relevant. I have only started to research this.

http://www.helium.com/items/1390994-rabbit-syphilis-symptoms-and-treatment

What does Hutch Burn look like?

Syphilis does not seem to fit. Anyone agree?

It does not look like hutch burn to me. That's a chemical burn caused by urine. I suppose syphilis is a possibility but I haven't seen it look like that before. A vet should be able to check for that with a sample culture. Treatment would be penicillin injections (NOT oral!).

I know cottontails can get large warty lumps caused by viruses. Maybe this is related? It's really hard to know without further investigation by a vet.

If you read the entire Hutch Burn site I posted it is not entirely impossible, based on the descriptions I saw there. Check it out.

Latest posts

Back