What is the best 'FIRST' veggie to try?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndsy

Reaction score
I'm wondering what veggie to try Buster and Tucker out on first...

They will be 12 weeks old this Friday comming, and it's time to startslowly introducing veggies! I've got a list of safe foods for rabbits,but was wondering if thereis there a veggie they can havethat might be easier to digest for them, and what should I stay awayfrom at first?

I know not to give them fruit until a yeaar of age, and even then be careful with it.(sugar)

Any suggestions, or comments????

'the monkeys':)

lyndsy wrote:
I'm wondering what veggie to try Buster and Tucker out on first...

I know not to give them fruit until a yeaar of age.

'the monkeys':)
The Monkeys...........Banana. :shock: No just joking. Ha ha.

But seriously, I mightstart with darkgreen leafs cut up in small pieces. Pebbles prefers the coreof Suey Choy over the stocky part.

P.S. Did you find any Woody Pet yet?

Rainbows! :)

I used danelion leaves as their firstveggie.They went crazy for them. Another really good one isthe Roamine Lettuce. Apollo adores it. And we found out so did everyrabbit that was around Apollo's cage at the show. I had to buy doublebecause they were all taking it from him.

Tina

Parsley has something in it that you have to limit how much. I would be careful with that. I don't use it often with Bo.

Cilantro is one of their favorites and it's good for them.Low in Calcium and all that. They can basically have all they want but go slow.... little bit and use one veggie for at least 3 days.

Romaine is really good. I do know some people have bunnies that get loose stools so one leaf or so when you use it until you see how they react. Bo loves it and has no problems at all.

Kale is one you have to limit also.... it has something that is lethal in large amounts.

We feed a salad each night now. He gets usually 4 or 5 stalks of cilantro and2 leaves of lettuce (romaine or green leaf usually) Maybe a small bit of carrot but not all the time. He has had some green pepper but it's not his favorite.

Celery is good but I like to use only the leaves. If I give him the stalk I cut the outside off (with the strings) and justgive him a little. I've heard the strings are bad for them.

Bo gets a slice of banana (like a coin about 1/2 inch thick) for breakfast a lot. Treats/fruits should be limited.

I give Bo something each morning and this is a list of his "breakfast" items. ONE each morning

3 or 4 Cheerios

1 coin of banana

1 small slice of papaya

1 small slice of apple

1 blackberry

1/2 strawberry

1 or 2 craisens

1/4 to 1/2 tsp of rolled oats

or 1 Rice Chex cereal

He does very well on this. He picked up a bit of weight recently but that was due to some "extra" treats my daughter was feeding.... like everyday he got double his breakfast at least! :shock:

Thank you all soooo much.

I think i'm going to try some romaine lettuce. I'm having Easter dinneron saturday, and i'm making a ceasar salad, so i'll have some onhand...:)

So I should give them one leaf, for the both of them, cut into small pieces then?

Tina-Poor Apollo, everyone eating his lettuce...:(

Bo- your bunny sure eats well doesn't he? LMBO!:D

Pet Bunny-The closest place that sells it to me is well over an hourfrom here...:shock:So can you get it shipped I wonder?:?

'The monkeys':)

I actually cut a leaf in half and Apollogt half and Athena the other. I didn't want to over do it the firsttime that's why I gave so little. I was worried about upset tummies.I'm a worrier though;)CAn't help it. I'm so excited for theMonkeys.

You are going to have to take pictures of them trying it. We want to see too.;););)

Tina

lyndsy wrote:
So I should give them one leaf, for the both of them, cut into small pieces then?

Bo- your bunny sure eats well doesn't he? LMBO!:D
Yes I would split the leaf for them the first time. Take it slow and when you know they can handle the veggies you can slowly increase it to about 1 cup per 6 pounds of bunny I think it is. Some do more, some less. Bo is spoiled yes LOL!

I get the romaine and use it for our sandwiches a lot so he gets that and cilantro a lot LOL!

The breakfast thing is definite spoilage..... he stands up and looks at me until it's "served".... :?

lyndsy wrote:
LMBO, ok picture monster...

:D

Tina

How's Tucker's little eyes doing? How's Busterdoing? Nota day goes by that I don't think of them and I mean that. Your storiesare so descriptive and their perssonalites shine out of every picture.I just lovethem so much. I am so glad you share them with us.

Bramble Briar86 wrote:
Carrots???

Ellie:)

Pipp isn't big on carrots, but by far her favourite veggie is carrot tops. They're cheap, too. If I'm at the supermarketearly enough, the produce manager gives me all the tops cut from their carrots.

She started on veggies very early, I guess. She was seven weeks when I found hermunching on a dirty old maple leaf and grazingdandelion leaves (which may be even more of a favourite, I'll find out soon when weed season hits). She seems to have a cast iron stomach.

Fussy, though. Doesn't like a LOT of fruit and veggies. (I tried a bit of canteloupe yesterday, from there coil and look on her face, you'd think I'd offered her a cat turd).

Pipp wrote:
Bramble Briar86 wrote:
Carrots???

Ellie:)

Pipp isn't big on carrots, but by far her favourite veggie is carrottops. They're cheap, too. If I'm at thesupermarketearly enough, the produce manager gives me all thetops cut from their carrots.

She started on veggies very early, I guess. She was seven weekswhen I found hermunching on a dirty old maple leaf andgrazingdandelion leaves (which may be even more of a favourite,I'll find out soon when weed season hits).

Briar munches on dried up leaves too. They'll both eat carrots. Theirfavorite "junk" foods are tortilla chips and honey nut cheerios, kindaan odd combination, i know it's not very healthy, i just do iteveryonce in a while. Lol.

Ellie

Pipp wrote:
Pipp isn't big on carrots, but by far her favourite veggie is carrottops. They're cheap, too. If I'm at thesupermarketearly enough, the produce manager gives me all thetops cut from their carrots.
Our supermarkets leave the tops on and sell the bunches. Theyare still pretty cheap but you have to use them pretty quick.Bo loves them also! and they are really good for them as far as greensgo.

I hadn't thought of mellon.... I bet Bo will eat it, but pumpkin..... he's thinking "cat turd" as well LOL!

Ah, thanks Tina!:)I think about you andJeremy, and that munchkin of yours, Apollo all the time! And there'sNOTHING wrong with a spoiled pet! I've got 5 of them here! LMBO andlove EVERY minute that I can spoil them! Pics are comming VERY soon too!

Thanks everyone for you great advice and ideas! Romaine it is!

the monkeys!:)

veggies at 12 weeks is ok, in small amounts, it's fruit you should wait until 1 to give.

:)

Oh, if your guys can have veggies, you should go and get a bag of the'spring mix' salad! It's been a huge sucess with a few buns on here! Mymokeys LOVE it!

Monkeys!:p

I agree with everyone who has suggested starting out with small amounts of dark, leafy greens.

Pam

lyndsy wrote:
veggies at 12 weeks is ok, in small amounts, it's fruit youshould wait until 1 to give.

:)

Oh, if your guys can have veggies, you should go and get a bag of the'spring mix' salad! It's been a huge sucess with a few buns on here! Mymokeys LOVE it!

Monkeys!:p
Thanks for the help:D

Latest posts

Back