What is molt/molting???...sorry new at the rabbit thing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

Reaction score
What is molt/molting????I hear a lot about it but not sure what it is???

out of interest when they malt does it come outalmost from the roots? i noticed a clump of jacks fur the other daythat was pitch black one end and white the other is this malt or ishetti chewing?

Yes...could be either. If that is theonly clump of fur you have found, it is most likely a fur chewor pull initiated by Hetti. Molting usually startsat the rear end and works foward if memory serves mecorrectly. Brushing(a good practice) will dislodge copiousamounts of fur. Done with a slicker brush(small,narrow, soft metal wirelike tines) will remove both top and bottomlayers of fur.

Molting can occur twice a year on sort of a seasonal basis orbe provoked by temperature changes, feed changes, stress,change and a multitude of other factors.

Buck

When a bunny molts, does fur grow back underneath or is it just a 'thinning' of the fur? Also, can the bunny change colour?

Mylittle lionhead (probably about 2mnths) is light grey andsooo fluffly.2weeks ago I noticed thatonhis back thereare little patches of really short brown andblack fur - its a really nice colourbut its much shorter thanhis coat. It's really weird but now his back is nearly allbrown andblack but he has a grey flufflytail, sidesand mane!

Is he just losing his baby fluff?

Rose

alfie and angel wrote:
When a bunny molts, does fur grow back underneath or is itjust a 'thinning' of the fur? Also, can the bunny change colour?

Mylittle lionhead (probably about 2mnths) is light grey andsooo fluffly.2weeks ago I noticed thatonhis back thereare little patches of really short brown andblack fur - its a really nice colourbut its much shorter thanhis coat. It's really weird but now his back is nearly allbrown andblack but he has a grey flufflytail, sidesand mane!

Is he just losing his baby fluff?

Rose

Yes, they do lose their baby fluff with the first molt. Withsome colors, you'll notice darker colored fur coming in at the base,and yes, some colors do change with each molt.

Pam

Thanks for that pam- wasn't reallyworried but just thought i'd mention it as I saw the post. I had noidea he was gonna turn such a lovely colour and he must be coolerlosing some of that fluff! Its fascinating watching them grow!

Bless all our lovely bunnies!

Rx

Welcome to the forum snickers, FrenchLopGirl, and alfie and angel. :) :) :)

Snickers,

I bumped up a post for you entitled, "Molting/Shedding". Hope it helps explain a bit more about it.

-Carolyn

Thanks carolyn! Think may possibly have addictiontothe forum - it 4a.m and I should be doin my college workbut can't get enough of allthe beautiful picsUh oh!

I was so tired last night I accidentallywrote:'MaryShelleyoffers the rabbit anopportunity to.....' Instead of 'offers the reader'!

Good thing I noticed before I hand it in on Mon!:?

R

4 a.m. and you 'should be doing college work'. :shock:

More power to you! I could never keep those hours and be productive.

I really hope you can catch up on your sleep today. Glad to hear you're enjoying the forum! :)

-Carolyn

alfie and angel wrote:
Thanks carolyn! Think may possibly have addictiontothe forum - it 4a.m and I should be doin my college workbut can't get enough of allthe beautiful picsUh oh!

I was so tired last night I accidentallywrote:'MaryShelleyoffers the rabbit anopportunity to.....' Instead of 'offers the reader'!

Good thing I noticed before I hand it in on Mon!:?

R

lol still got one day left i need to finish my nvq by monday i cantsleep but there is no way im working this time off night lol - good onu!!

I have a question about shedding/moulting. Ourrex, Fawn, tends to shed in patches, and when she does those patchesare often alot shorter than the other parts of her fur. The thing is,she never seems to totally shed off the longer fur, and when we groomher in an attempt to even it out, she ends up shedding the long fur asbald patches. Any thoughts? Is this normal with rex coats (she's ourfirst of that breed).]

Thank you.

p.s.- you've got more than one college student who really should bedoing schoolwork in here reading and looking at all the beautifulpictures lol! I really should get around to my animation finalsthough... :shock::D

I wouldn't work quite as much on the longerfur. Groom by all means, but not to thepoint of bald patches. It should even up at some point intime unless the bun is perpetually molting due to some dieticdeficiency or stress factor(s).

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
I wouldn't work quite as much on the longer fur.Groom by all means, but not to the point of baldpatches. It should even up at some point in time unless thebun is perpetually molting due to some dietic deficiency or stressfactor(s).

Buck
Hi Buck!!! :D Good to hear from you! How goes it??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we first got S'more from the shelter, she had gone thru a few verystressful circumstances. She was about a year or two old, had just hada recent litter, her owner died, and she was dropped at the shelterwith her babies.

As a result, she went through a heavy molt when we first got her, butwe didn't know that's what it was for sure at the time. Her tush wasalmost bald, but not irritated and she didn't have any sores.

We took her to the vet and he checked her for mites, mange, skincondition, etc. He found her to be fairly healthy and feltthat she was just having a very heavy molt due to stress and poor diet.

She ended up having a complete molt from tush to nose. With a dietimprovement, her adjustment to her new home with us, and lots ofgrooming, her new coat soon grew in to be beautiful. She's a brown andwhite dutch.

We also brought home one of her babies that had been brought to theshelter with her. MooShu was fluffy and all grey and was about 3 monthsold. She went through her first molt and ended up with a black and darkgrey coat.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back