What I did today....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite personality wise are the ponies that have attitude, those are fun to ride!

Otherwise I'd have to say my overall favorite breed would betheThoroughbred. But I don't like the racing part, I've seenthe back side of a track and my instructor was right when she told meI'd be better off covering my eyes until I got to Doctor Reid's horses.

grr race tracks : I purchased a mare off the track what a time i had with her
she was 300 lbs under weight , flighty as all get out ( ever see a 1000lb horse drag someone thru a mouse hole ( not a pretty sight ) lol
but once we got passed the weight issue and the im scared of everythingyour going to do she was a great horse she stood 17 1/2 hands high ,which means she was 6 ft at the shoulder lol im 5 ft 6 guess who hadadvantages here lol

Has anyone noticed but most who have had horses now own either both or have gone to bunnies ? ironic huh

I quit riding 2 years ago for reasons and I wasgetting animal deprived. Since my friend had just had an accidentallitter of 9 babies that she was going to give away, I asked my dad andhe caved. I'm an animal lover and not being able to have them wouldkill me.

As for race tracks, I handled quite a few Thoroughbreds off the trackand they were well cared for (the ones I handled at least). When theowner could no longer use them for racing, they were given to the barnto be trained as jumpers. It was not only great for the horses, but agreat learning experience for the people who trained the off the trackhorses. Most of the time people who had been riding school horses for afew years were given the task of training them. But some were antsy, Ihad more than a few try to land on me when rearing, drag me around,attempt to kick, everything.

We actually have a percheron at ourzoothat looks very similar to the dappled horsehere. Like so many have said, they most likely are a cross.

There seem to be several clydesdales here in Indiana. I love them as well :)

POA's are funny ponies. My daughter rides one at her aunt's house and he's a hoot!

Those who guessed Percherons are dead on. The"leggy" one is a "youngster" at 7 or 8. The whiter horses look muchmore stocky. They always run one light horse with a dark horse (borndarker, lighten with age) so they can combine strength and energy withexperience.

The horses were rented for two days (plus crew!), and the timber theywere hauling was fine carpentry oak and cherry that we took down abouta week or two ago. The house we're building is probably going tobetimber frame, but we'll use the plantation pine for that.

Bub was nowhere near the action, as this land is about 25 min. from ourhouse. The new house won't be built for a couple years yet.

The horses ran four abreast today, which I wish I could have seen, andDad got more spectacular pictures. I'll post more later.:)

What was amazing was how incredibly smart they are. The driver wouldtell them "back one step"....and they would! They can turn in anunbelievably tight radius, and run a narrow track. All of this meansthey do very little damage to the woods, unlike heavy mechanizedloaders and haulers. And gentle!! Little kids kept running around thosehuge feet, and they would stand stock still and put a massive head downto nudge the little squirt under them.....

Rose

Latest posts

Back