Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LassieBunBun

Reaction score
United States of America, New York state; Upstate
No need to fear, Blossom and Thumper are doing great! This is just a curious question I have since Blossom isn't spayed and Thumper isn't neutered. I know they should be but everytime I get money to fix one something happens to take most (if not all) the money I saved. So what the symptoms of uterine cancer and what are the symptoms of prostate and testicular cancer?

There are the usual signs of a rabbit being unwell. Not eating well, stops eating, changes in behavior, lethargy, etc. Then more specific, blood in urine, abdominal mass, mammary issues for females.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Uterine_cancer

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies

I had an older doe that started showing signs of constantly having a false pregnancy and trying to build a nest. She was spayed and went back to behaving normally. Males aren't as likely to have reproductive cancer.

So are female rabbits far more susceptible to cancer if not spayed? We had Lola done shortly after rescuing her - they think she was about 6 months old when rescued. Our vet never mentioned this.

I know for female cats there appears to be a pattern where cancer is more prevalent if the cat is not spayed.

Last edited:
So are female rabbits far more susceptible to cancer if not spayed? We had Lola done shortly after rescuing her - they think she was about 6 months old when rescued. Our vet never mentioned this.

I know for female cats there appears to be a pattern where cancer is more prevalent if the cat is not spayed.

There is some evidence to suggest it's much more likely for female rabbits, especially pertaining to certain rabbit breeds based on some limited studies done . And it showed as rabbits get older, the risk will increase, especially around 4-5 years old, though this can vary depending on breed/genetics. Not to say every unspayed female rabbit will get uterine cancer as they get older, just that there is a high risk of the possibility.

Back