What do you guys do with your rabbit droppings?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I compost them with all our other compostible material. We have a series of 4 boxes, and over time they get moved from box 1, to 2, to 3 and then to 4. When they are compost, they go on the flowerbeds in our garden.

:)

Jen

we spread the feces in our flower/plant beds and then take the rest in bags to the woods.

The rabbit lady i know has guys who pay her and they come out to scoop under all of her hanging cages and takes it away for her. The little they don't get she just spreads it too

I use mine in my vegetable and flower gardens. What I don't need I sell to a nursery.

jcottonl02 wrote:
I compost them with all our other compostible material. We have a series of 4 boxes, and over time they get moved from box 1, to 2, to 3 and then to 4. When they are compost, they go on the flowerbeds in our garden.

Jen
Jen bunny poops are already composted:)..they can go right from the poop shoot to the garden:).

Flash Gordon wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:

Jen
Jen bunny poops are already composted:)..they can go right from the poop shoot to the garden:).

Thanks for that, Flash :) but unfortunately the litter and hay is NOT composted, so hence it all goes into the compost bin. Don't fancy spreading hay and litter and newspaper over the flowerbeds along with the poop! Also vegetable skins, tea bags etc. is the other 'compostible material' I mentioned, so that all goes in the compost bin as well.

Jen

Probably a stupid question..... If I were to start "saving" the poops now in anticipation of using it in the garden this spring. How would I store it? In a cardboard box, in a rubber made tub? If I kept it in the house would it stink?

jujub793 wrote:
Probably a stupid question..... If I were to start "saving" the poops now in anticipation of using it in the garden this spring. How would I store it? In a cardboard box, in a rubber made tub? If I kept it in the house would it stink?

A rubbermaid tub would work better than a cardboard box, I use cement cynderblocks to make a little 'hole' or 'cubby' to dump mine in- mine's only 3 sided.

Keep it in the house- yes it will smell.

Remember anything that's breaking down and composting more so than already is will get hotter as well. Ever step into a compost pile?it's hot.

Thankfully I have never stepped in a pile of compost but thanks for letting me know! I think I will consider saving the poops for the garden though. Just the ones outside the litterbox because I dont think the urine soaked yesterday's news would be compostable.

My sister and I collect the rabbit droppings in buckets, where they compost and break down to dirt-like material. And then we sell it to people to put on their gardens, etc. It takes a while to collect enough so the first time we sold it, we actually had nearly 100 pounds of it and sold it for $20.00. It's actually a great deal and of course its some of the best fertilizer.

I put my rabbit droppings along the fence line with all our other compost since we have a big gap under our fence our dogs go under and go walk abouts ;)

Latest posts

Back