What do you get when you cross a bunny and plastic bracelets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetiora

Reaction score
Being my first time ever owning a rabbit I havemany things yet to learn. One of these would be to completelybunny-proof my home before letting bun run around on his own, or justnot assuming my room will be relatively devoid of bunny disasterswaiting to happen.

I aqquired Ferguson about 3 weeks ago I suppose (I sort of forgot tomark the date) and everything has been peachy until now. Tonight Ifound a rubber bracelet I owned chewed and beaten up by none other thanmy favorite little bun! Now I could care less about the bracelet exceptfor the fact that it was missing a (rather large) section of it and Icannot find it anywhere near the last remanents of it. This only leadsme to beleive that Fergy ate the missing piece. Problem is I don'treally know when he ate it.

The area the bracelet was loacted in is sort of out of sight from me,not completely but enough to where bun can do a little mischeif if Idon't pay attention to him everynow and then (a good sign of trouble iswhen it's quiet....too quiet). He's not really having problems poo-ingas far as I can tell and he seems to be eating just fine (although Ifind I'm having trouble with that just as well--different story, willcover at end of post). I'm worried about blockage, but since I don'tknow when he ate it I can't guarantee that it's not in his system rightnow (heck, I can't even guarantee that he ate it!:shock: ). Of course Ihaven't found any pink plastic bracelet pieces in his litter box eitherand I cleaned it out today.

Any help or suggestions? I'm only a college student so I'm a littlepoor to send bun to the emergency room unless he really shows signs ofsevere problems (which he is not exhibiting currently) so I'd like toknow if there's any sure-fire way to find out before it comes to that.:)

-----------

As for Ferguson himself, he's a netherland dwarf I aqquired from a petshop. Sadly the most I can guess about is age is that he's roughly 3months (the pet shop did not attain the bun's precise age). He's allblack except for a bit of his tail that's faintly white and his littlepaws are just barely trimmed in grey.
To me, he's my little prince :D

Earlier I mentioned trouble feeding him. Well it's not that he's noteating as much as I started feeding him veggies right when I got him.It was only after I had read a few books and online articles that Ilearned you don't give them fresh veggies until 6 months or older. SoFergy seems pretty miffed that I've been slowly trying to steer himaway from the veggies to his pellets and hay.
My question on that is why excactly can't I feed him vegtables yet? Heseems to be handling them fine as long as I don't give him too muchkale or juicy veggies (which causes his poo pellets to be mildy squishybut nothing horrid). Also, does this mean I can't let him gnaw on appleslices every-so-often or what? I'm very new to this rabbit raisingthing and I want to be sure to do a good job! :)

I hope I can get some answers because I can't seem to find any otherresources that answer these particular questions of mine. Thanks somuch! :)

I really can't think of anything to dobut treat as though he ate. You really want to keep things moving inthere so I would really push the hay for the next few days. Some oatscouldn't hurt. You may even want to 'treat' him with some cannedpumpkin. I really do think you want to keep his systemmoving:eating ,drinking, peeing and pooping.

And none of this will hurt him if he didn't eat it. If younotice any changes for the worse contact your vet. Good Luck.

Tina

Ahh, thanks! :) That shouldn't be too much of a problem seeing as how he loves his hay.

Oddly enough upon further re-inspection of the plastic bracelet itdoesn't seem he ate much more than a pellet sized chunk but I'm willingto bet if he truley did eat it that it's enough to cause problems.

Thanks for you response! :)

Vetiora wrote:
Ahh, thanks! :) That shouldn't be too much of a problemseeing as how he loves his hay.

Oddly enough upon further re-inspection of the plastic bracelet itdoesn't seem he ate much more than a pellet sized chunk but I'm willingto bet if he truley did eat it that it's enough to cause problems.

Thanks for you response! :)
Rabbits can eat plastic withouthaving problems, though it's not good for them to, but they won'talways have problems. I had a mini Lop that devoured anything plasticthat was in his cage and he also devoured his cage, but it didn't seemto effect him at all.

Vetiora wrote:
Earlier I mentioned trouble feeding him. Well it's not that he's noteating as much as I started feeding him veggies right when I got him.It was only after I had read a few books and online articles that Ilearned you don't give them fresh veggies until 6 months or older. SoFergy seems pretty miffed that I've been slowly trying to steer himaway from the veggies to his pellets and hay.
My question on that is why excactly can't I feed him vegtables yet? Heseems to be handling them fine as long as I don't give him too muchkale or juicy veggies (which causes his poo pellets to be mildy squishybut nothing horrid). Also, does this mean I can't let him gnaw on appleslices every-so-often or what?
Hi Vetiora...welcome!!

Here is a link to a post I made about introducing veggies...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=4913&forum_id=1&highlight=introduce+veggies

The more you go back and read previous posts on this site, the more youlearn! I've learned so manyfacts and helpful tips throughthis forum! And I suggest you check out the Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Carepost at the top of the forum...

good luck

-Vanessa

Huh, wow. Well maybe Fergy is doing just finethen. His litter box seems to still be accumulating presents so that'sa good sign^_^ Let's just hope he doesn't develop a taste for plastic ;)

VNess2010 wrote:
Hi Vetiora...welcome!!

Here is a link to a post I made about introducing veggies...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=4913&forum_id=1&highlight=introduce+veggies

The more you go back and read previous posts on this site, the more youlearn! I've learned so many facts and helpful tips through this forum!And I suggest you check out the Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care post at thetop of the forum...

good luck

-Vanessa

Wow thanks^_^ I think I'll try to keep him on his kale then since heseems to love that so very much. He'll be excited I know (consideringright now he's begrudgingly munching on an alfalfa cube XD ). Thanks somuch :D

Vetiora wrote:
Wow thanks^_^ I think I'll try to keep him on his kale then since heseems to love that so very much. He'll be excited I know (consideringright now he's begrudgingly munching on an alfalfa cube XD ). Thanks somuch :D
Vetiora-

Well, actually..sorry to burst your bubble...but I've read that toomuch kale and spinach aren't good for rabbits...too high inoxalates...sorry to have to tell you that! There are plentyof veggies that are great for rabbits and that they love!Here is a link to a list of veggies your rabbit can have:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

-Vanessa

I dont feed bunnies vegetables or fruit untill 4months or more because it may cause diahhrrea.and in a bunny that youngit can be fatal in days.Try cheerios,oats, andwheat sguares,they arecereal like frosted mini wheats only get the kind withoutsugar..bluebird

VNess2010 wrote:
Vetiora-

Well, actually..sorry to burst your bubble...but I've read that toomuch kale and spinach aren't good for rabbits...too high inoxalates...sorry to have to tell you that! There are plenty of veggiesthat are great for rabbits and that they love! Here is a link to a listof veggies your rabbit can have:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

-Vanessa

Aw, drat. Well I'm sure he'll be happy for any veggies really sincehe's already gotten a taste for them. For some reason he just doesn'tlike his pellets all that much (I've tried 3 different brands now andI've finally decided he's just going to have to like it eventually).Thanks for all your help :)

bluebird wrote:
I dont feed bunnies vegetables or fruit untill 4 months or morebecause it may cause diahhrrea.and in a bunny that young it can befatal in days.Try cheerios,oats, andwheat sguares,they are cereal likefrosted mini wheats only get the kind without sugar..bluebird

Hmm, well he's been eating the veggies since I got him and he seems tolove them and really doesn't do too bad with them. Although I'm surehe'd love to get his little teeth on anything I'd be willing to let himchew. The problem for me would be finding those cereals without thesugar. Perhaps I can look around the organic food section with theircereals since they seem waaay less sugary. Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back