What breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itstrist

Reaction score
I haven't had and bunnies for a while but I'm 16 now and I'm looking into getting more! I want to get 2 rabbits, male and female with the possibility of breeding them and getting into 4H. I have all the supplies I need to make a C&C cage and I've been looking on here and I've found some designs I really like. I want a small breed, soft fur & friendly! can someone suggest some breeds to me? also has anyone else created a double C&C cage for two rabbits seeing as how I can't keep them together? thanks so much! also I live in North east ohio does anyone know of any good breeders?

I can't really make too many suggestions except that if you're going to be making a double cage for both of them, it will have to be a top and bottom arrangement, not a side-by-side one as they'll be able to breed through the bars of the C&C grids.

thanks oak ridge! I appreciate it. I think I am looking towards holland lops or fuzzy lops! :) ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396313924.121884.jpg and I'm looking to make my cages just like this! I love the design

could anyone by any chance tell me what color this bunny is? I absolutely love it! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396313978.299287.jpg this is like my dream bunny

that is a black tort. most common color in holland lops. i would recommend mini rexes or holland lops.

I would suggest holland lops or Netherland dwarfs they're both very friendly and easy for beginners! I raise holland lops :)

If you are looking into potentially showing in 4H or even in ARBA shows just be aware that the breeds mentioned (holland lop, netherland dwarf, and mini rex) can be pricey and greatly vary in their quality. Make sure you find a very reputable and fair breeder that can help you and not rip you off.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396406187.680856.jpg I'm currently looking at the bunny on the right, does it look like a good bunny to start out with?

He is very young, and Holland Lops can change so much as they mature. If you're interested in working with Hollands, I'd recommend emailing the breeder and asking about a senior (over 6 months old), proven breeding pair. That way, the rabbits are already fully grown and you know for sure what their type (conformation) is like.

Based on the pictures and the price listed, I would guess that the breeder of the rabbits pictured above considers them to be potential breeding quality rather than show quality. Show quality is typically more expensive and, as I mentioned, a Holland Lop typically isn't labeled as "show" until it is closer to maturity. The bunny pictured above appears to have promising type for a breeding program but may not be competitive on the table. His ears are rather long. Sometimes long ears mean bigger rabbits, so he may be close to or over weight limit as a senior. That's just a guess, the breeder would be able to tell you more.

Last edited:
MINI REX

I have mini rexes and they are AWESOME. They have really soft fur and loving temperaments. They are small (hence the name) so they would be easier to find a cage for. They come in many colors, so you could have any color yet still have the soft fur. They are also highly showable. Also, like someone sail before, don't have the cages too close to each other.

Latest posts

Back