What Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nurse895

Reaction score
I rescued this bunny outside my office - from acat - part of her hair was chewed off of her back, she was very thin,but with no openwounds. She is doing great now -fat and sassy. My daughter named her Cocoa Breanne (becauseshe looked like chocolate & she wanted Cocoa to have a middlename.) We keep her in the house. She has a bodyharnessand leash- she loves to gooutside. We do not have any idea what kind of rabbit sheis. Her ears flop downward so I think she may be from a tamebreed, but she is colored like a wild rabbit. Any ideas onwhat breed she may be?

Thanks!

She looks a lot like my bunny Peanut(except for the color). Peanut is a lop-mix, as this girl appears tobe, though we're not 100% sure of her heritage. I'd say your bunny isdefinately domestic ;), even though her color appears to be more "wild".

Peanut20cropped.jpg

Hello and Welcome.

I'm sorry I can't help you figure out her breed past she's partlop. I just have to say she is absolutely gorgeous. She is stunning.

There is a member here named Pam who is awesome at this. Whenshe sees this she will help you. It helps Pam if you can post a sidepicture and if you know how much she weighs.

I think you are so awesome for rescuing her. Tell your daughter I just love the name, very chic.

Tina

She is beautiful!

Like Tina said, Pam will be able to answer your question when she sees this post. In the meantime, welcome aboard!

There are a number of different types of lopbreeds. She may be a Mini Lop or a Holland Lop. Howmuch does she weigh?

Mini Lops generally weigh from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds, Holland Lops generally weigh up to 4 pounds.

The color is Chestnut Agouti (and yes, it is the same color as a wild rabbit would be).

Pam

Wow, Pamthat was a really quick reply. Scratch that.

Way to go Pam the Judge that Rocks.

I hope one day I can tell the breeds even half a good as youand I'd be happy. I'm studying now but I have a really long way to go.I think you are awsome.

Tina

Chestnut is more common in the Mini Lops, but I'm not ruling out the fact that he could be a Holland.

Pam

I founda picthathasmore of a side view. This picture gives a better idea ofproportion. I really do not know how much she weighs... shedoesn't weigh as much as a bag of sugar,though...lol If that helps.

You guys all have gorgeous bunnies... We are new to the bunny world, but are loving it.

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for the info. I posted anotherpic... a sideview. I'm new to this forumthing - so probably didn't post it correctly.

Thanks again

In that photo, she appears to be more"Hollandish". I did used to have a Holland Lop buck thatlooked exactly like her -- his name was "Tater Tot" :)

Pam

IF the rabbit gets bigger and bigger then itsprobably a French Lop. French Lops grow upto be about 16 pounds. If itdoesn't keep growing then its diffently a Mini lop. The chestnut agouticolor is seen a lot in Mini lops and French lops.

Jack and Marshmellow's mom FrenchLopGirl1280

I love the wildcoloration , she is beautiful , Welcometo the Forum glad youcould join us .

pamnock wrote:
There are a number of different types of lopbreeds. She may be a Mini Lop or a Holland Lop. Howmuch does she weigh?

Mini Lops generally weigh from 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 pounds, Holland Lops generally weigh up to 4 pounds.

The color is Chestnut Agouti (and yes, it is the same color as a wild rabbit would be).

Pam
HI PAM, I REALLY HOPE U COULD HELP ME AS WELL... SINCE THE PASS 4MTHS IHAD BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY RABBITS (A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MY BUDDY),BUT I JUST DON KNOW WHAT BREED THEY ARE. IM VERY FOND OF THEM. THEFEMALE IS "CURLES" (THE ONE IN FRONT). THE MALE IS "SINBAD".

:DCURLIES JUST GIVEN BIRTH TO HER NEWBIES....:?BUTIM AT A LOST....BCOS I REALLY DON KNOW WAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO...

EUNICE.:p

BaBy_rAbBiT wrote:

HI PAM, I REALLY HOPE U COULD HELP ME AS WELL... SINCE THE PASS 4MTHS IHAD BEEN TAKING CARE OF MY RABBITS (A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM MY BUDDY),BUT I JUST DON KNOW WHAT BREED THEY ARE. IM VERY FOND OF THEM. THEFEMALE IS "CURLES" (THE ONE IN FRONT). THE MALE IS "SINBAD".

:DCURLIES JUST GIVEN BIRTH TO HER NEWBIES....:?BUTIM AT A LOST....BCOS I REALLY DON KNOW WAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO...

EUNICE.:p

Welcome Eunice!

Many of the Asian rabbits seem to have a similar look/type to them -- very beautiful!

The buck and doe should be kept separate because the doe will breed again immediately following kindling (giving birth).

You will want to gradually increase the doe's rations.

We provide a "nestbox" for the doe, where her babies will stay forapproximately 14 days. At about this time, they open theireyes and begin to venture out and munch on mom's food. Thebabies do not require any special diet.

The babies can be weaned from the mother at approximately 6-8 weeks of age.

They must be separated by sex by 12 weeks of age because they will beold enough to mate and produce babies of their own at this young age.

Pam

hi pam...tks for your swift reply!!

sotat means it is fine leaving the cageopen for mum to go in & out as she pleases?i will surely prepare the nestbox for thedoes...

a lot of tall-tales from frens saying tat I shudnot let the mum separeted from her does for the 1st 3days & tocover them up from sigthings..unfortunately i had not done it...so theyare putting pressure on me that I caused the mum to ignore her does& not milking them.... is this true? Im really dumb abt this& pretty sad tat one them died just now... :?

eunice :(

She may certainly be left to come and go from her brood, but the buck should not have access to the doe or litter.

Pam

Latest posts

Back