What breed was Thumper?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a post about my bunny, Thumper, who has now been gone nearly 3 years. She was a wonderful girl. She lived to be 14. I bought her at a pet shop, long before shelters in my area had bunnies. She was supposedly 8 weeks old. They didn't tell me what breed she was. She was always very small boned and small in stature. The three vets that I had over the years (because I moved so I needed to change vets) always said she was underweight and to feed her more, but she was not a big eater. She always had timothy or alfalfa free choice, pellets free choice, and daily salads and raisins. She would eat a bit, and then rest. She got a cataract around age 12, and another about a year later. She then got arthritis in her hind legs. Towards the end, she could no longer stand up for long, and would flop over all the time. When she could not stand any more, I took her in to the vet to say goodbye. It was not right to me to keep her going when she could not stand and take care of her biological needs.

Anyway, all those years I had her, she weighed roughly 1.5 to 2 lbs at most. She did not have Netherland dwarf ears, in my opinion, but she sure was small. Sometimes I wonder if her low calorie lifestyle led to her longevity.

Does anybody know what kind of breed she was?
t2.jpg

Here she is sideways. So skinny!
t1.jpg

Here she is "stretched out".
t3.jpg

Here she is asleep with me. I look horrific. I think I had a bad cold and was home from work. She would sleep on the couch with me, upside-down as you see her. This gives you a good sense of her size though, compared to my hand.
t4.jpg

Any thoughts on her breed would be welcome!
Claire

She was very pretty but I'm not sure what breed, maybe a mix with the dwarf gene. Btw you look fine! ;)

i would guess she is a mixed breed who like was said has the dwarf gene through her. Pamnock would maybe have a better idea :)

Latest posts

Back