Wet cheek

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacBook1

Reaction score
Hello,
My rabbit has a spot on her cheek that I sometimes see is wet and has the fur curled up into strands almost like carpet fibers. She eats well and has a lot of energy, binkying and flopping all the time. It has no smell to it. Is this an issue or is she just wet from her water bowl?
This may be unrelated but I also noticed that even when relaxing she breathes pretty rapidly but that could be due to the Southern California heat (she is inside but the ac isn’t as effective as we would like).
What do you think I should do?
Thank you for your time and help!2535C32F-C323-45B3-8733-94FD83B19A5B.jpeg7E6086D2-7768-449A-A387-6B54D2FF48DF.jpeg

This is also really random but I just found what almost looks and smells like baby spit up where she was exploring but I know she can’t vomit. It’s like a yellowish color and thicker than urine. Not a lot of it

Is that part of the cheek detached from the mouth (i.e. further back of the cheek), or is it connected to the mouth corners (i.e. right next to the mouth)?

Fur loss at the corners of the mouth/cheek is typically the result of drooling. Drooling can often be due to dental discomfort, as the rabbit's mouth produces more saliva to lubricate sores/discomforts in the mouth. Although your rabbit is eating (which is a great sign), it's possible it is feeling discomfort due to molar spurs or something else mouth wise. This would require a vet assessment to get a good look.

If it's just on the cheek and not the chin, I feel it's less likely to be water bowl related, as that usually impacts the chin foremost.

Back