Well, Coco can swim - like a little bullet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coco_puffs

Reaction score
I had Coco out in a friends screened-in patio that also has a pool. For the past two Sundays Coco and I spend about an hour out there as I want him to get sunshine and fresh air. I thought the pool was not even a consideration because 1) surely he knows the difference between water and ground and 2) he's so cautious around anything new. He sneaks up to something new, all stretched out, ears forward, etc. when inspecting something new. I thought there was no problem having him near the pool.He would inspect it and know to stay out.

Well, today he was on the opposite side of the pool as me and we have never been physically that far apart since I got him. Having a great time out there in the patio, he comes *running* around the pool to me. I thought he would surely hop across the square corner of the pool but no. He DOVE into the pool and swam just like a bullet. Shocked and horrified I flew to the side of the pool and scooped him out immediately, wrapped him in a towel and didn't even put him down for a long time.

He was totally fine. Showed no adverse signs of stress, water in the ears, nothing. He just sat down and started preening. I was a total basket case for hours afterward. NEVER again will he go out there without some kind of fence.

Omg that is funny but yes terrifying at the same time. You know, I guess I wasn't sure if rabbits can swim or not but I guess we know now.

Agnes jumped in my toilet one time. It was just water in the bowl for some reason but she wasn't bothered either. She just sat there. I went to get her out and that's when she decided to jump back out on her own. She also did not seem bothered at all by her "swim" haha. But she could touch in her pool......hehehehe ;)

That is funny, but it must have been really scary for you. I can't believe he just jumped in lol, if I had been there I would not have expected him to jump in either.

Lisa, that is funny what Agnes did. I wonder if she liked the water.

A swimming bunny is not something you usually see, but they can swim very well. We had a Doberman that loved water and we had to lock the pool gate or he'd take the lock off, open the latch, and go swimming--IN FEBRUARY!!

he is fine, no need to worry then. :) He loves water apparently, and as you have now learned, he's an excellent swimmer.

I would have no concerns about him being around a pool now as long as someone is there to make sure he gets out okay.

I'm all back to normal now, but it was extraordinarily scary. I've been very vigilant with my parrots by the pool as a fall in would surely be the death of them. It's been my biggest fear, to the point of near paranoia. To actually see Coco go under just about put me over the edge. It really shook me up for a long time. The good thing is, now I know that he can swim if he has to. But like today, I'll never be more than a few very unlady-like LEAPS away :) Thanks for reading all, and sharing your stories!

Thumper has never gotten the chance to swim but I do know on the occasions he does slosh water from his bowl he doesn't seem to care that he is wet and he also doesn't seem to care when he stands in his bowl.

Latest posts

Back