Water bottles! (/bowls?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetiora

Reaction score
Hiya everyone. I was just wondering what kind of water bottles/bowls everyone used for their buns and why!

Gosh, I'm behind on the lingo so bear with me here. Fergy uses one withthe ball at the end (does that count as galvanized?) but I'm thinkingof switching him back to the one with a vacuum seal and a little stickwith a rounded tip at the end (it's commonly used with the top loadingwater bottles I've noticed). The one with the vacuum seal leaks a lotLESS than the one with the ball at the moment. Much less to clean up inthat area but I don't think Fergy likes it as much....hmm, thisrequires careful observation! (Note to self: Get camouflage to spy onFergy with.)

I haven't tried bowls yet but until he stops flipping his food dish I'm going to wait (or just buy a heavier food dish! :p)

So what has everyone else found that their buns like? :)

I use a water bottle for Apollo. I diduse a bowl but he is a very enthusiastic drinker and he would get hischin and neck wet. I have the ball one. It leaks a bit but not too bad.If it leaks to bad I'll buy another.

I got tired of chasing him around with a towel evey few minutesto wipe him off. That was excerise I could do without lol. I was afraidof bacterial infections. Very rarely but he did even poop in the bowl.So I switched for his health.

Tina

I use bowls for all my bunnies, My Dwarf drankfrom a bottle but i got him a friend and she wouldnt drink from it sohe just learnt to drink from the bowl.

I use Lixit Glass water bottles. Since they areglass you can sanitize them easily with bleach or hot soap..or even putthem in the dishwasher (if you have one, I dont) I got a water bottlethat dosnt have the ball but it ended up dripping more and making ahuge mess..

I use a bowl for my Netherland DwarfPebbles. I think they drink better with a bowl than trying topush the balls in the bottle all the time.

I keep her food on one end of the cage, and her water at theother end by the litter box.If she moves her foodbowls, the water doesn't get spilled.

I also set the bowl off the floor (on a paper weight), so she doesn'tstep in the water. It's a smaller bowl, so she doesn'tsitin it either. So far it's working well.

Rainbows! :)

I use a bowl. :D

I tried to get Wrigley to use a water bottle, but he couldn't seem tofigure it out. I think it's because before I got him he had abowl...so that is all he knows. ;)

Jenn

I use Oasis bottles. I use the kindwith the ball at the end. I've tried the kind with the vacuumand I find that they always start to leak really quickly.I've had no problems with the Oasis leaking and I even use them for myferrets and they bounce around and bang the cage all the time and itdoesn't ever leak.

Jen

I use the bottles with the ball at the end whenthey are in their cages. When they are out for playtime theyhave heavy dishes...just like Pet_bunny's.

Our rabbits are very picky, they'll only use one type of water bottle and god forbid we try to change it.

Valuran is the only one who will drink out of the bowl of water weleave out for all animals (don't worry, it's changed twice a day).Mostly he uses the water bottle though.

I just switched Napoleon to a waterbowl. I got him Monday and had him in a cage. Hewas drinking from a bottle then. I'm letting him sleep in thelaundry room now and there's no place to hang a bottle, so I put a bowlout for him. I'm worried he's not drinking enoughthough.I'm going tocheck when Igethome and see how much he's had.

Laura

Vetiora wrote:
I'm thinking of switching him back to the one with a vacuum sealand a little stick with a rounded tip at the end (it's commonly usedwith the top loading water bottles I've noticed).

I used to have this kind until Poco kept cutting huge gashes in herside bumping into it as she would race around in her cage. Afterremoving her hanging food dish (and making many EXPENSIVE trips to thevet) we figured out it was the bottle. They all now have the one withthe ball.

Poco and Skittles have stoneware crock food dishes I got at TractorSupply Co. Hef still has a hanging food dish, but I want to get him acrock too when I get them new cages.

I use botlles for all 7 buns.

The last 2 bottles I bought were different in that they have 2 balls inthe tube. They're supposed to be weatherproof (which doesn't mean muchfor my indoor bunnies :p).

I was surprised to find that they don't seem to leak very much atall....even after filling them. I really didn't intend to buy them forthat reason, they just happened to be the cheapest 32 oz. bottle atPetGoods @ $4.99 ea.

269719.jpg

Weather Resistant Water Bottle - 32 oz.

Product Description: Durable water bottles for smallpets that resist breakage and wear from the sun. Made of heavy-duty,translucent plastic and weather-resistant polyethylene for use insideand out. Retards algae growth. The stainless and drinking tube with itsdual stainless balls creates a leak-proofvacuum.

Manufacturer: Farnam

Size: 32 oz.

I use an automatic watering system, bowls, and water bottles.

I like the automatic watering system because it cuts down onfeeding/watering time. ;)But you can't tell how much watereach rabbit drinks. Also its hard to put any medications in theirwater.

I use water bottles for some of the rabbits and range from Lick-its tofill top bottles to the ball kinds. I like the fill it tops, as onceagain it saves on time!

I like the bowls as well but one on a bowl as she chews her water bottles!

Just one thing to keep in mind about water bottles is that you have tokeep a close eye on them. Water bottles tend to leak which makes aowner think at first eyes that the rabbit is drinking a lot. Anotherthing is the balls can get stuck so that part of the water bottleshould be cleaned regulary. I clean mine once a week, using a smallbottle brush to move up and down through the tube. I just wet thebottle brush and let it do the rest! ;)

~*~Amanda~*~

I use water bottles but i used a bowl when russelwas ill coz it was easier for him but now he is back to a bottle - heseems to prefer it and if the babies would just go for a bath in it lol- thats what they do in puddles!!!!

leanne:)

Meat has one of the ball waterbottles as well asa big water bowl (one of those stainless steel "no-tip" dog bowls thatare wider at the base than the rim). She drinks from themboth, but drinks more from the bowl. She's never managed totip the bowl :):knocks on wood:: ) though one time I was setting thefreshly-filled bowl on the ground when Meat ran up, grabbed the bottomrim in her teeth, & shoved really hard, sending water splashingeverywhere. ;P She also runs throughthewater bowl& flings water around on a regular basis,and likes to throw hay, shredded newspaper, & random toys in it(hence the water bottle, for when the bowl is undrinkable due toplaying).

waterrattle.jpg

BunnyMom wrote:
I used to have this kind until Poco kept cutting huge gashes in herside bumping into it as she would race around in her cage. Afterremoving her hanging food dish (and making many EXPENSIVE trips to thevet) we figured out it was the bottle. They all now have the one withthe ball.

Poco and Skittles have stoneware crock food dishes I got at TractorSupply Co. Hef still has a hanging food dish, but I want to get him acrock too when I get them new cages.

:shock: Well that will keep me from switching him back then! Yipe! Iwould say how silly it would be for a rabbit to not know how to runabout his cage without bumping into things but then I remember---I'mthe girl who will accidentally walk into walls with one side of herface or another in places I've lived in all my life!:p

So wow, I'm glad Poco is better now :) And that will definately keep me from switching Fergy back to the other bottle!

i use the plastic water bottles you buy in the pet stores, they're pretty strong and reliable.. the one i bought never drips

i used to try using a bowl but the rabbits would never drink from it and they would knock it over

Latest posts

Back