Warming a Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
Just some tipsthat you might wish to insure before the chill comes.

? Rabbits generally are mostcomfortable between the temperatures of 50 degrees Fahrenheit and 80degrees Fahrenheit. In the winter, rabbits need some help in keepingwarm because when temperatures drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, theyare more prone to illness. That said, as long as it is well protectedfrom drafts and has a constant supply of liquid water a rabbit (andeven newborn kits in a well-made nest) it is said that they canwithstand temperatures to -20° F without additional heat, but theyshould be provided with more hay and food.

? Black Oil Sunflower Seeds act as ahot food for rabbits and generate more body heat. Hay can do this too.Not a bad idea to have some handy for those bitterly coldnights.

? A wet rabbit is prone to gettingillnesses especially if there are drafts. Keep your rabbit protectedfrom the moisture in the air. A little wetness on the outside of thecoat isn’t going to harm your rabbit, but if it gets to the under layerof the coat, it could make the rabbit very sick. Some folks keepblankets handy to wipe off wet fur when they check on their bunniesthroughout the day.

? Make sure the cage is free of leaks,has a sturdy roof and sides, small mesh wire without any sharp areas,wood without splinters, and a sturdy lock.

? It's very important to protect yourrabbit from the wind and drafty areas. If you have outside hutches,plastic tarps can go a long way in helping protect your rabbits. Besure that the wind isn’t able to blow through the underneath the cage,but do keep a space for the rabbit to get fresh air. Don’t close therabbit off too tight. That could cause respiratory problems and/orcolds. They do need some air ventilation. Fresh air is extremelyimportant, just not drafts as that creates stress andillness.

? If you can, provide him a box insidehis cage stuffed with lots of straw or hay in which to burrow and keepwarm. Blankets aren’t advised as they can hold bacteria if soiled andsome rabbits will chew on them and ingest them causing intestinalblockage.

? The amount of feed should be slightlyincreased during colder temperatures. Don’t overfeed your rabbit, butknow that it takes calories for rabbits to maintain its body heat.

? Provide your rabbit with hay for themto eat as well as dig into as it will help them keep warm.

? Rabbit bedding must remain clean and dry as it could freeze.

? Be sure to keep your hay and othergreenery you give to your rabbits at room temperature and don’t feed orallow them to eat it if it is frozen. It could be a fatalerror.

? Predators can get pretty hungry whenthe food supply is low in the winter. Be sure your rabbits areprotected.

? Rabbits will starve to death withoutwater. Be sure they have fresh water at all times. Many people withoutside rabbits use crocks instead of water bottles as the bottles canfreeze up. You also want to make sure the crocks don’t ice over as thatis not enough of water for the rabbit to take in. If you are usingcrocks, be sure to change them at least twice a day as they couldfreeze over. You also have the option of using a heated bowlif you wish to go that route. If you wish to see what onelooks like, check out:http://www.countrysidepet.com/level.itml/icOid/317

? Some folks leave a light on insidethe rabbit’s cage for some extra heat on very chilly nights. Othersprovide a space heater for their rabbits if a light won’t work. Don'tput it too close to your rabbit as you don't want them to overheateither. Because heat and hay are such a safety issue, some breeders usebox heaters that are made for reptiles.

? If you must bring your rabbit inside,put him in the coolest room so that when you take him back outside, thedrastic change in temperature won’t shock his system.

Very good post! I think I need to obtain someBlack Oil Sunflower Seeds! Leaks are very important to watch for. As Ihave outside rabbits and know this, make sure the snow cannot blow in!In cases like this, simply put some plastic over the outside ofthe wire where snow blows in (make sure the rabbit cannot get a hold ofit!). My dad is making 'storm windows' which is going to be made ofhard sheets of plastic that are transparent (not completely clearthough)to allow some light through. Carolyn is absolutelyright about allowing air flow in the cage. We have insulated wood boxes(insulated with like 1" styrofoam) and we fill them with straw, therabbits climb in them on cold nights and tunnel in the straw to make aburrow and push the straw against the door to block cold air fromcoming in. Carolyn makes the point about water freezing, and yes itneeds to be changed frequently, rabbits will attain water throughlicking or breakin the ice but it is not always enough (I change thewater at least 5 times a day). And I've stated enough now, I'mbasically just repeating what Carolyn said anyways!

Thanks Laura,

I definitely thought of you up there in Cold Country Canada.

Definitely worth having black oil sunflower seeds! I fed them to mywild rabbits all winter last year because we had such much snow andbitter cold.

Can't believe we're already thinking of preparing for the cold weather again. :shock:

You're absolutely correct in saying that water needs to be changed morethan twice a day in some areas. Five times is not a stretch at all.

-Carolyn

You know, everyone says how cold Canada is, butit's not really! We haven't had any snow for 3 years at Christmas time(a tiny bit last year and the year before all we had was frost). Imean, it's getting to be quite odd! We don't get snow until lateDecember of early January. And really, the coldest it ever gets is -40but add windchill and it can get much colder (you know you're Canadianwhen... ;)). But despite the cold, I know my boys wouldn't trade it tobe inside, they hate being inside actually! They jump up at windowstrying to get back out, lol. I increase their food to add a bit ofweight so they are slightly chubby in the winter, but add their fur andthey look just plain fat!

If this winter has been anything like the past few, we don't need toprepare for winter until November (when the cold really hits).

That's interesting, Laura. I was underthe impression you guys froze all winter long. I always feltso badly for folks that have to endure the bitter cold.

You could also check into a heated waterbottle.

(Maybe heardthat!)

http://www.countrysidepet.com/level.itml/icOid/317justto give you an idea, but you probably are already aware ofthem.

I'm glad Mocha and Spice stay outside because I love the pictures ofthem in the snow. Especially Mocha cause he thinks he's socool--whichhe is.

-Carolyn

They love snow. All they do is binky anddig and roll in the stuff! lol. I'd love to have them as insidebunnies, but allergies say no, and even if I could, I don't thinkthey'd be happy!

I'm not too keen on heated water bowls, I'm afraid of them chewin onthe wires or something shorting and causing a fire. Plus, we would needan extention cord to run from the cage to the outside outlit and I'mnot to sure I like that idea with all the snow.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
I'm not too keen on heated water bowls, I'm afraid of them chewin onthe wires or something shorting and causing a fire.

GOODPOINT!

Hope your allergies calm down in the winter time. Mine,unfortunately don't. They're just as bad in December as theyare in August. Allergy shots help, but not as much as I hadhoped for. :? Oh well. I've learned tolive with it. It could be a lot worse andI thank myLucky Stars for what I am able to do.

-Carolyn

I think changin the water 5 times a day is a lotbetter than risking something happening with a heated bowl. Hardly everdoes it freeze solid, my boys normally break the top layer of ice anddrink the liquid underneath.

My allergies really aren't that bad, I'm only allergic to animals,scented things, and certain creams. Sometimes I have an allergicreaction when I'm in the sun for the first time in the Spring too. Ohya, can't forget that I'm allergic to hay and staw too (go figure). Butmy dad is way worse off, he's allergic to almost all nuts,alot ofveggies and fruits, animals, and to top it off, he hasCeliac's disease which means he shouldn't be eating anything withgluten in it (white flour contains gluten) so it's really hard for himto find anything he can eat safely! lol.

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
I think changin the water 5 times a day is a lot better thanrisking something happening with a heated bowl. Hardly ever does itfreeze solid, my boys normally break the top layer of ice and drink theliquid underneath.

Iagree!

-Carolyn

My bunny is indoors. Is providing a box with hayin it needed since she is indoors, and should it be the same timothyhay she eats??

Cristy

An indoor bunny doesn't not need a box to keepwarm, though it should have a box for hiding in anyways. Since yours isindoors, I'd suggest just putting a normal cardboard box in for it butno bedding is needed.

Even if your bunny was outside, hay is not recommended for bedding, therabbit may eat it after it has gone to the bathroom on it. Outsidebunnies should have straw for the best insulation, and if they haveaccess to timothy hay all the time, they tend to not eat the straw.

Hi Cristy,

I agree with MyBunnyBoys on all counts, including the hay and straw.

An indoor bunny is usually just fine as the temperature remains thesame and steady. It's nice that your little babyhas such a concerned mom!

-Carolyn

thanks everyone, I am thinking aboutadopting this boy bunny that is at the same shelter she came from. Ithink he is 2 yrs old. Not sure of his kind but if i remember right hehas floppy ears. It wouldnt be till after the firstso if he is still there i might get him. He is afraid of people. Do youthink with time he would be ok? plus i want to bring luv to go see himany suggestions on that? My apartment is alot smaller but ifeel the need for a new pet since i lost two and a sec bunny seemsnice. I could always get rid of a chair. :)

Cristy

Hi Cristy,

As long as Luv is okay with it, I'm sure he'll be fine and willadjust. If they don't get along, that would obviously be moredifficult for him. Tucker seems to like having asister. They don't groom each other and aren't 'in love', butthey're happy to live under the same roof. Luckily, havingbrought Fauna in hasn't effected my relationship with Tucker.Well, actually, sometimes he does play harder to get than he used to,but the minute I pet her, he's right at my feet waiting to be next.

Fauna was quite socially handicapped when I got her as she was ignoredfor 4.5 years of her life. She didn't know hay, treats, ortoys. She used to always face the corner of hercage. She rarely does that anymore, and she'll hopin and out of her cage more and more every day. At first, Ihad to take her out, but I decided it was best to just let her come outon her own. I'd offer her a treat at first when she did comeout and I cheer her on.

That's so kind and generous of you to even consider rescuing thatlittle guy at the shelter. It's usually easiest to bond afemale and a male. Although Fauna never goes for Tucker, hestill beats feet when she looks his way. It's reallycute. He's such a Macho Man with me, but put a prettybunny-girl in front of him and he runs like horses out of thegate.

-Carolyn

Some good advice there,

But sometimes don't you just want to wrap him/her up in a towel witha hot water bottle, like you would in bed???!!!!

Bunny_Mad wrote:
Some good advice there,

But sometimes don't you just want to wrap him/her up in a towel witha hot water bottle, like you would in bed???!!!!

Absolutely,Bunny_Mad.

-Carolyn

My rabbits are indoor bunnies, but they are inalmost entirely natural lighting and since we have a heater in onecentral room of the house, the bedroom where they are tends to staypretty cool (I bundle up extra on those cold nights). They're outsidemost of the day, right until it gets dark. I'd like to get a smalldoghouse for them on those cooler autumn days so they can at least beoutside, but still stay warm. And, as much as I hate it, there arealready signs of cooler weather: they've started to molt and fill intheir winter coats.

I said all that to say, can they continue to play outside, even as thetemperature drops this winter? Of course, they'd be supervised, butthey can't exactly tell you when they're getting too cold, so I want tobe safe.

My boys are outside all year around. Here itdrops down to -40 (same in C and F) and with windchill to about -50 C(-58 F). My boys get out in their runsfor about 30 minutes onmild days, I don't let them out in those frigged temperatures at all.But when they are let out (normally I let them out to run in anythingwarmer that -30 C or -22 F) they are in the snow. They love to play init and dig and binky. The only thing in their runs is a little housewhere they can get off the cold snow and into a dry house. I don'tthink letting them out should be a problem, maybe not quite as cold asmine can handle because yours are partially indoors.

I'd suggest watching for activity levels, if they seem to be sittingaround or trying to get out of the snow or open into a warmer place,they may need to go inside. Watch to make sure they don't get wet,after I let mine out to run I take them inside and thoroughly dry thembut if I notice more than their paws are getting wet, I take them inright away. I wouldn't suggest letting them be outside in the open fortoo long at any rate though.

Hope this helps!

Carolyn wrote:

? If you must bring your rabbit inside,put him in the coolest room so that when you take him back outside, thedrastic change in temperature won’t shock his system.

Would it be okay to give my rabbits excercise in the kitchen and then put them back to their hutches outside?

What a wonderful thread! Thank, you,Carolyn for all of these great tips. Will pass them on tothose I know that have outdoor bunnies.

Latest posts

Back