Victoria's friends

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I posted a couple of pictures of my rabbits Black and Red in Intro before, it would be nice to post them in one spot and update them.

I also have four pet rats - one adult and four 3 months old ones.

My camera does not work (have to get a new charger) and it may take a while but the photos are coming.

Our (my fiance's and my) rabbits are house rabbits and they dont go out much- we live in a unit.

When they were teenaged they tried to chew a lot of things and ruined some of cords and other things as well as many litter trays which they even liked to ingest. They never got sick however from eating their trays (how can this be they are made of tough plastic). We also had toys with bells inside and they chewed through them and one bell went missing,we never found it... no more toys with bells for them.

Black is a territorial bunny and he used to charge at me if I tried to get him out of his cage and even once hung on tomy inner thigh with his teethuntil I tried to strangle him (a reaction out of shock that I had) -then he let go and helooked verysurprisedas if it was unexpected and shocking that it wascoming from me, who he thought was submissive.

Now he is good with us but aggressive to Red, they are kept apart and never meet each other, just look at each other from their cages or sniff if they approach through the cage. Black used to bite the nose of Red but he does it a bit less now and I even see him lie next to Red from the outside of the cage now and then.

Black had a head tilt and scanning eye movement about 4 months ago but he is well now (sometimes his stomach is sensitive and he has to have food regularly). Red is more sturdy but he also gave us a scare when he gulped his pellets and chocked on them and nearly died. We have no emergency vetsin the vicinityavailable at times and only my fiance saved him.. i was too panicked did not know how to help.

Sounds like you've gone through a lot with your buns!
Are they spayed/neutered?
I look forward to seeing pictures of all your furkids.

yeah, they can be difficult, especially when they get sick. but it is well worth it, they are great friends. My rabbits are not desexed (thats what makes them a bit more aggressive and I think a bit more fun as well - they are quite active). If we had girls we would definitely desex them, with boys it is ok for their health (aprt from the above)
Victoria

I am really sad and shocked to say this and I so wish I didnt have to write this - but our Black has left us last night. He choked on some pellets. I have not heard rabbits choke that much before but this is our third time. One before was him and before that Red (near fatal one with him). What are we doing wrong if anything? They are fed regularly but they dont know how to swallow pellets well.. We tried but could not get it out last night. Poor bunny run free now we will always think of you fondly

Oh no, that must have been so traumatic, Victoria, so sorry. :sad:

Its pretty unusual, but it happens. :( What kind of pellets were you feeding them? Were Black and Red related?

So sorry for your loss.

sas :tears2:

Thnks for your sympathy messages.
I think they are brothers - they were sold as such in the shop.
I dont want to get animals from the shops any more.

We had another animal (rat) that we bought from a pet shop and it was sick from the first day we brought him home and passed at 10 months old -too young for a rat (2-3years normally).
When my fiance examined Black's throat he noticed that it was unusually small (narrow)

Also both bucks are underweight our vets think. Could they have may be some sort of inborn faults?

We had a capaign by some politians here to stop pet shops selling animals in our states due to how they are kept in crowded space and how people would impulse buy them cose of them displayed there etc but it has not happened. They only wanted to sell pet food and animals like fish in the shops.

We feed them usual lucern and cereal based pellets that are sold in supermarkets in Australia approved by RSPCA our society for protection of animals. We kpet tried to find Timothy based pellets all the time -but could not get it not even in any pets shops. They sell them very expensive at the vet's which we cant afford right now.

Thank you again for your support!

Hi we now have only two animals left - a guinea pig called Girl or various other names - she is our first female pet She does not answer to her name (as the pigs normally dont) so we forget it all the time. I promised not to get from pet shops but she was so cute even though pregnant- I could not help it. It was an impulse buy two weeks after I lost Black and I was convinced by friends too that i needed someone in the Black's old cage.
So we put her into his cage and in two months time she gave birht to a baby that died shortly after birth.
We never saw it alive.
He was an albino we suspect a "lethal white" - many "lethal white" only live for a short time after birth and all dont have a normal life span and have med issues. She has some white hair and this prob means that she has a roan gene and the father of the baby did too.. thats how two gene produce this defect. Another reason not to get from shops..
Red is still with us. He also has some problems similar to Black that the vet cant find out - his throat looks ok but he still at times has trouble swallowing. We give him only certain food that he does not usually choke on.
If I ever get any more animals it will be from good breeders and also when I can afford all these vet bills..

I am so sorry for your loss. How is every doing now? You should post some pictures of Red and Girl.

Latest posts

Back